No family members attended an inquest into the death of a seven-year-old boy whose body was found "frozen to death" outside a house in Birmingham last month.

Hakeem Hussain died from cardiac arrest when he was left outside a house in Cook Street, Nechells, on Sunday (26 November).

The "beautiful little boy" died despite attempts being made to resuscitate him when he was discovered at 7.40am.

An inquest into his death opened on Thursday (14 December) at Birmingham Coroner's Court but no one from his family attended.

His mother Laura Heath, 35, and her uncle, Timothy Busk, 56, were both arrested on suspicion of wilfully ill-treating a child. They have both been bailed while the police investigation continues.

The Birmingham Mail reported that Hussain was found unresponsive outside Busk's home and that the child may have succumbed to hypothermia in sub-zero temperatures.

A post-mortem examination into Hussain's cause of death proved inconclusive and further tests are due to be carried out to ascertain exactly how he died.

Hakeem, a pupil at nearby Nechells E-ACT Academy, did suffer from asthma and was known to Birmingham City Council.

The Mail Online reported that the multi-agency Birmingham Safeguarding Children Board was deciding whether to launch a series case review into Hussain's death.

The council said in a statement: "We can confirm the child was known to us and our thoughts are with those who knew and loved him.

"We are working with police and health to establish all the circumstances leading to his death. The multi-agency Birmingham Safeguarding Children Board is aware of the case and will decide whether it meets the criteria for a serious case review."

Headteacher of Nechells E-ACT Academy Julie Wright said in a statement following the child's death that Hussain "stole the show" in last year's nativity play.

"Hakeem was a most beautiful little boy, a great friend to many staff and children with a wicked sense of humour and an infectious giggle," she said. "'Hakeem will be sorely missed by us all."

Area Coroner Emma Brown has adjourned the inquest until 26 January 2018.