South Korea is blaming North Korea for the last month cyber attack which paralysed dozens of Seoul's government websites.

Seoul says Pyongyang is "likely" behind the assault which took place on 25 June marking the anniversary of the beginning of 1950-53 Korean War.

Websites run by government institutions, news outlets and private firms were affected in the latest attack.

Seoul said more than 90% of the damaged websites and servers have been repaired.

According to the Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning in Seoul, one of the IP addresses used for hacking was used in earlier attacks.

The ministry said in a statement, "The cyber attack seriously undermined the country's image by alternating the websites of symbolic government organizations, such as the presidential office Cheong Wa Dae, and caused confusion in identifying the attackers by assuming the identity of the hacktivist group Anonymous."

The statement continued, "The malware used in the latest attack against websites and in distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks has been confirmed to be a variation of the malware found in the March 20 cyber attack [by North Korea]."

The cyber attack which took place in March had shut down thousands of computers of major broadcasters and banks.

Pyongyang has been accused of launching cyber onslaught however the country repeatedly denies it saying North Korea itself is a victim of cyber war.

The accusation has come at a time when the two Koreas are holding talks over the reopening of Kaesong industrial zone. The countries are yet reach any agreement over the issue.