A university student was kidnapped, tortured over an hour and forced to drink bleach, in what is suspected to be a revenge attack over a minor car accident.

Motaz Zaid was attacked and forced into a silver Mercedes C220 estate as he was returning back home with his friend in Parsons Green in South West London at approximately 12:40am on the night of 10 April.

Zaid, who is studying economics at the University of Greenwich, was sprayed in the eyes with ammonia.

His father Azz Zaid fears the attack followed after his son accidentally scraped a man's car two weeks ago.

"They sprayed him with acid, burning his face. They made him drink ammonia. They pulled his ears with pliers," Azz Zaid told the Evening Standard.

"My heart is broken when I see my son like that. I can't believe anyone could do that to another human being."

Police believe Zaid was held down in the car by up to three men who forced his mouth open and made him drink bleach and attacked him with pliers.

Police officers on patrol approached the parked Mercedes in Beverley Way, New Malden, just before 2am, but the car sped away leaving Zaid on the pavement with severe acid burns on his face.

Zaid's friend, 20, who tried to shield his friend from the gang, was also stabbed and taken to hospital. He was later discharged.

Speaking to the newspaper, he said: "They had been parked waiting for him to get back. As we both got out of the car, these five guys just jumped at us. They sprayed something in our eyes and it blocked our vision.

"I tried to fight them off and to grab him, but he was on the floor and not moving. I hit one of them in the face and three of them chased me into the main road and stabbed me.

"By the time I got back to my friend the car had left and I thought he had got away but after looking for him I realised they had taken him in the car. If I hadn't been there no one would have known he was gone. When police found him they said it was 50/50 whether he would live."

Zaid's car had a minor car accident with another car several weeks ago. Failing negotiations, the driver allegedly threatened Zaid once before to pay up or risk further violence.

"It was a small accident and the other car was scratched. But the people were violent and they warned him 'if you don't give us £400 we are going to burn your car,'" said Zaid's father.

"He is in intensive care. We don't know if his vision is affected yet. Doctors say it is very serious. He woke up today but he cannot speak, his throat is very damaged. He can only point. We are waiting to hear what will happen."