The Galaxy S2 with model number GT-I9100 recently received another custom firmware, SpiritROM based on the latest version of KitKat software. The SpiritROM is based on CyanogenMod with a number of additional features.
The custom build upgrades the Galaxy S2 to Android 4.4.2 KitKat from the older Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. The SpiritROM has been shared by senior XDA member, Nico_60. Given below is the changelog for the latest version of SpiritROM.
- Customisable clock and date by SlimRoms
- Customisable navbar and navring by AOKP
- Customisable battery icon
- AOKP ribbons v2
- Active display
- App side bar
- Gesture anywhere
- Custom progressbar
- TRDS by SlimRoms
- Customisable quick settings tiles
- LCD density changer
- Notification shortcuts by SlimRoms
- Notification reminder by SlimRoms
- Lockscreen Colors and Lock Image by SlimRoms
- Full custom animations
- Wakelock blocker
- Omniswitch by Omnirom
- Recent panel by SlimRoms
- Customizable volume steps
- Screen recorder
- Ram bar
- Glowpad Torch
- Notification Reminder
- Slims Actions
- Lockscreen Colors and Lock Image
- Lockscreen blur
- ROM compiled with SaberMod 4.8 toolchain
- Kernel compiled with SaberMod 4.7 toolchain
- Compiled with -O3 level optimization
- Compiled with Strict Aliasing rules (most of the patches are coming from Linaro Gitweb)
- Added ARMv7 and Cortex-A9 optimized string handling routines
Head over to the development thread to know more about the SpiritROM.
Those who wish to upgrade their Galaxy S2 to Android 4.4.2 KitKat using SpiritROM, may follow our step-by-step guide.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Before following the installation guide, users are advised to verify their devices meet the following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Galaxy S2 to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> About phone. Tap on Build Number several times until a message appears saying 'You are now a Developer.' Now enable USB Debugging Mode by navigating to Settings>> Developer Options.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device has any custom recovery such as ClockworkMod or, TWRP then back up data using the same.
4) If the Android phone powers off due to lack of battery during the process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Galaxy S2 should have above 80% battery charge.
5) The phone should be rooted and have the latest version of ClockworkMod recovery.
6) Android 4.4.2 KitKat SpiritROM works only with Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100. As applying this to any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of S2 by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
7) After flashing the ROM if the device gets stuck on the Booting animation or experiences a boot loop then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache for a few times before rebooting the device.
8) Once the ROM is installed, users are advised to give 10 minutes to the ROM after the device boots up for the first time for better user experience.
How to install Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 with SpiritROM
Step-1: Connect and mount Galaxy S2 USB memory on the computer using USB cable. Now copy the downloaded zip files to the SD card of the phone. Ensure the files are in the SD card root, not in any folder
Step-2: Unplug the USB cable from the phone and switch it off
Step-3: Boot the phone into CWM recovery mode. Turn the phone on while pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together
Step-4: In recovery mode, perform a full data wipe by selecting wipe data/ factory reset. Use the Power button to select while in Recovery Mode
Step-5: Perform a cache wipe by selecting wipe cache partition
Step-6: Perform a wipe of dalvik cache. This is optional but users are recommended to do this, so that the device will not get into boot loops or any other errors. From CWM recovery, go to advanced then select wipe dalvik cache
Step-7: Return to the main recovery menu and select install zip from sdcard
Step-8: Select choose zip from sdcard. Using the Volume keys navigate to Android 4.4.2 ROM zip, which was earlier copied to the Phone's SD card. Select it using the Power button and confirm installation on the next screen
Step-9: After the ROM is installed, repeat the procedure to install Gapps file on the phone
Step-10: When the installation process is completed, go to +++++Go Back +++++ and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now
The Galaxy S2 will boot now and it might take about five minutes to boot the first time
Galaxy S2 should now be updated with SpiritROM featuring Android 4.4.2. Navigate to Settings>> About phone to verify the new software version running on the device.
[Source: Team Android]