Masked hooligans have attacked members of an Israeli soccer team in Poland in what Israeli officials described as an "anti-Semitic attack".

The assault on the Hapoel Petah Tikva team occurred after a friendly game with the local MKS Ciechanow in the town of Suchocin, near the capital Warsaw, on Wednesday (2 August).

At least two of the team staff were injured. Security cameras captured the incident, showing Hapoel Petah Tikva players rushing from a hotel to rescue their colleagues.

"After the match we went to the lobby of the hotel while a couple of our staff members were collecting the equipment," Petah Tikva coach Oren Krispin, told the Jerusalem Post.

"Around 15-20 skinheads came out of the woods and raced onto the field and began punching and kicking them.

"One of the players in the lobby noticed this and we all ran out to help. Once the skinheads saw us they ran away," he continued.

MKS Ciechanow issued a statement expressing regret for the attack. It also claimed the attackers were fans of another team, Legia Warsaw.

"First and foremost, we emphasise that our club regrets the whole situation and strongly condemns the behaviour of the perpetrators of this perilous incident, but at the same time we stress that none of the members of our club-related community had anything to do with the whole situation," the club said in a statement.

The Israeli embassy in Warsaw said it was shocked and saddened by "the news of another anti-Semitic incident," which it said harmed Poland and Israel relations ans well as Poland's image abroad, Reuters reported.

The Polish government also condemned the attack.

"We strongly condemn aggression and violence against any person," Polish government spokesman Rafal Bochenek said. He added police were investigating the incident and hold those responsible accountable.

Local police confirmed in a statement that they were working to identify the culprits.

"The information provided to the police shows that in the area adjacent to the hotel where the Israeli team was staying, a group of masked people rushed to two members of the team, beat them and ran away. The victims suffered minor abrasions," police said the statement.