CyanogenMod 10, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, is now available for the international variant of Samsung Galaxy S3, thanks to the efforts of XDA Recognised Developer XpLoDWilD for releasing a Jelly Bean ROM for Galaxy S3. The developer claims that CM10, is nowhere near ready to be used as a daily driver since a lot of features are yet to be merged. The issues relate to FM radio and camera instability, though capturing pictures should work, and wi-fi tethering is semi-broken.
The CM10 brings along Jelly Bean features such as smoother interface, advanced voice recognition as well as search functionality and improved keyboard, according to The Android Soul.
Below are the steps to install CM10 on Samsung Galaxy S3, courtesy of The Android Soul:
Please note that using the method involves risk of data damage. IBTimes UK advises users to proceed at their own risk and will not be held responsible for any consequences.
Pre-requisites: Please keep in mind that the guide is compatible only with Samsung Galaxy S3 with model number i9300 and is not compatible with any other device. You can manually check your device's model by heading into Settings > About phone. IBTimes UK advises users to make a back-up of all data and APN settings since the method will wipe away all the data, apps and settings.
- Install CM9 ROM on Galaxy S3.
- Download ROM from official thread on xda-developers.
- Download Google Apps package.
- Copy downloaded zip files from step 2 and step 3 to the device's SDcard.
- Switch off your Galaxy S3 and boot into ClockworkMod recovery. To do so, press and hold Volume Up + Home button + Power button together. As soon as the screen turns on, release the buttons. Within a few seconds, you will be able to see that the device will boot into CWM recovery. Volume keys can be used scroll up and down and choose Home button to select options.
- Choose wipe data/factory reset option and select "Yes" to confirm.
- After wiping process, choose install zip option from SDcard. Now, scroll to ROM file that is placed on SDcard and select it.
- Choose "Yes" to confirm the installation. ROM begins installing.
- After installation, select choose zip from SDcard again and then choose the gapps-jb-20120703.zip file in order to install Google Apps package.
- Now, go back to main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot Galaxy S3 into CM10.
CM10, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed on your Samsung Galaxy S3.