The two men found guilty of murdering black teenager Stephen Lawrence in a 1993 racist attack have been sentenced to life imprisonment.

Gary Dobson, 36, was given a minimum term of 15 years and two months in prison.

David Norris, 35, was handed a minimum of 14 years and three months.

Because both men were under 18 when they murdered Lawrence, Justice Treacy could only pass sentences for juveniles, which are lesser than the adult equivalents.

Justice Treacy said he had "no doubt" that the two were part of a group that murdered Lawrence, although there was no evidence to suggest that either was the one who dealt the fatal knife wound.

Dobson and Norris were found guilty by a jury at the Old Bailey on January 3 of being part of a group that murdered black teenager Stephen Lawrence in a 1993 racist attack.

Lawrence bled to death after being stabbed near a bus stop in Eltham, south London.

Stephen Lawrence Murder: A Timeline

Following a cold case review by the Metropolitan Police in 2007, new forensic evidence emerged from clothes seized from Dobson and Norris in the original investigation in the early 90s.

Despite the pair's defence that the new evidence - tiny spots of blood and one of Lawrence's hairs - was a result of cross-contamination after mishandling of the evidence by police, the jury disagreed and it was enough to convict the two men.

After the verdict, Dobson protested his innocence as he was led from the court.

"You have condemned an innocent man here. I hope you can live with yourselves," shouted Dobson, who was already serving a five-year sentence for drugs offences.

Speaking outside the court after the verdict, Doreen Lawrence, Stephen's mother, spoke of her continuing anguish at the loss of her son, even in the face of justice.

"Despite these verdicts, today is not a cause for celebration," she said.

"How can I celebrate when my son lies buried? When I cannot see him or speak to him?"

Neville Lawrence, Stephen's father, said that there were "five or six attackers that night".

"I do not think I am able to rest until they are all brought to justice," he added.

The 18-year saga has seen one failed police investigation, one failed private prosecution and two independent inquiries into the murder.