British designer Stella McCartney was the big winner at the 2012 British Fashion Awards, held at the Savoy Hotel in London. The 41 year old won Designer of the Year and Designer Brand of the Year and looked suitably elegant, in a black taffeta jumpsuit.
On receiving the awards, McCartney described 2012 as "the best year to be British ... and one of the most incredible years of my life," the Guardian reported. The highlights of "the most incredible year" may well have been the designing of Team GB's uniforms for the London 2012 Olympics and the launch of her own fragrance. McCartney also spent the year designing a range of sunglasses and a clothing line for Adidas.
Harold Tillman CBE, the outgoing Chairman of the British Fashion Council, was given a Special Recognition Award by HRH Princess Beatrice of York.
"The British Fashion Awards are a significant event which represent the culmination of extraordinary talent, creativity and innovation across the whole industry," Tillman said in a press release, "The ceremony provides the perfect conclusion to what has been an exceptional year for British fashion and we're very proud to celebrate the achievements of all the nominees here this evening."
"The last five years have been extraordinary and seeing the BFC and the fashion industry go from strength to strength is a reward in itself so it is completely unexpected to be given this award," he continued, "My term as chair ends in just a few weeks time and I am so grateful to all those at the BFC and our designers who have inspired and supported me in equal measure. It has been an honour to serve this great industry for so long - Thank you all."
The event, hosted by Gemma Arterton and Nick Grimshaw, was attended by some of the fashion industry's most important figures, including BFC Ambassador Samantha Cameron, Valentino, Manolo Blahnik CBE, Sarah Burton, Christopher Kane and Alexa Chung.
Winners at British Fashion Awards 2012
- Designer of the Year: Stella McCartney
- Designer Brand: Stella McCartney
- New Establishment: Erdem
- Menswear Designer: Kim Jones for Louis Vuitton
- Emerging Talent Award, Ready-To-Wear: JW Anderson
- Emerging Talent Award, Accessories: Sophie Hulme
- Emerging Talent Award, Menswear: Jonathan Saunders
- Accessory Designer: Nicholas Kirkwood
- Red Carpet Award: Roksanda Ilincic
- Model of the Year: Cara Delevingne
- Outstanding Achievement in Fashion: Manolo Blahnik CBE
- Special Recognition: Harold Tillman CBE
- Isabella Blow Award for Fashion Creator: Louise Wilson OBE
- British Style brought to you by Vodafone: Alexa Chung