A British woman collapsed and died on holiday in Greece after eating a strawberry sorbet, an inquest has heard.

Amanda Thompson, from Rochdale, Greater Manchester, was on a family holiday to Rhodes in 2012 when she died.

She had informed travel agent Thomson and the hotel she was staying in that she was seriously allergic to eggs, milk and apples.

Rochdale Coroner's Court heard that the 50-year-old mother of two complained of a tingling sensation in her mouth shortly after eating the dessert on the second night of the holiday.

Her husband Ian told the hearing that she feared she was experiencing a severe allergic reaction.

She went to their room at the Aegean Atlantica hotel and collapsed on July 30, 2012. She never regained consciousness.

A Greek pathologist concluded Thompson died of natural causes, probably due to heart failure.

Thompson said he believed that her death was a result of anaphylactic shock. This was later confirmed by a British pathologist.

'Astonishing'

North Manchester coroner Simon Nelson recorded a verdict of accidental death, concluding that the fatal reaction was triggered by an ingredient in the sorbet.

Thompson said it was "astonishing" that neither Thomson nor the hotel's management launched an investigation into the circumstances surrounding his wife's death.

In a statement, Thomson said: "We note the verdict of the inquest today and we'd like to extend our deepest sympathies to the family at this extremely difficult time."

The family's solicitor and representative, Louise Wilcox, said the death was "avoidable."

"The conclusions of the coroner have been welcomed by Mr Thompson and his family," she said.

"Mr Thompson has always believed that his wife's death was as a direct result of food eaten at the hotel but not until the conclusion of the inquest was this acknowledged.

"Whilst the family remain devastated for the loss, there is some relief that they finally have the answers as to what actually happened to Amanda.

"We will now be taking legal action in the civil courts as the family believe that Amanda's death should have been avoidable."