Tiago Mendes will reportedly reject a move to Chelsea this summer despite several reports last month claiming he had signed a two year contract with the Blues to return to Stamford Bridge.
Having already played under Jose Mourinho during the 2004/05 season at Chelsea, the 33-year-old midfielder was expected to reunite with his manager as a free-agent after expiration of his contract with Atletico Madrid.
The Portuguese midfielder bids farewell to the La Liga winners after opting against a renewal offer to commit his future to the club with his move to Chelsea looking all but done.
However, recently Mourinho surprised all by claiming Chelsea don't expect further signing this summer after completing moves for Diego Costa, Cesc Fabregas, Filipe Luis and youngster Mario Pasalic –who will play on loan at Elche.
"The transfer market closes on 31 August and we close our market on July 19. We finished the market today, the club did fantastic, we knew the targets, we knew the players and the club attacked them and their clubs at a very early stage," the former Real Madrid manager said, I dont think we will sign any more players. The market is open, but we are so happy with what we have. We feel that our squad is what we want," the Blues boss said.
And now Spanish reports have confirmed that Tiago will not move to Chelsea – while he can rejoin Atletico.
Cadena Ser claims that his deal with the Blues have been blocked due to a 'license' problem while Spanish newspaper AS report that Mourinho himself has decided against his signing – leaving him without a team even though he reportedly played a crucial part in convincing both Diego Costa and Filipe Luis to leave La Liga for West London.