A fire breather accidentally turned himself into a human torch while performing "the most dangerous trick you can do with fire".

Steven Logan, also known as Logy on Fire, was filmed performing outside the Wickerman gift shop on Belfast High Street.

But during a fire-breathing trick the chest-length beard of the 29-year-old from Limavady caught fire, prompting his terrified audience, which included children, to douse the entertainer with water.

During the video, which has been watched more than 36,000 times on Facebook, Logan's face is in flames as onlookers gasp in horror.

He was rushed to the Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast, by ambulance after the incident last Thursday (16 November), but luckily only suffered superficial burns to his hands and face.

The entertainer can be heard saying to the audience in the video: "This is the most dangerous trick you can do with fire."

Logan was performing outside the gift shop to promote the third birthday of the Belfast Beard Co, who supply the store. The entertainer uses products made by the firm.

"I had been working that day and this last while I've just been working a lot," he told BelfastLive. "Normally I do about a half hour show, but I took the whole thing down to about five minutes because I was just knackered.

He added: "What happened was just at the top of my beard, a bit of fuel was still in it from a gig I had done earlier, and just caught fire. So it wasn't actually my face that caught fire it was my beard.

"I knew straight away what had happened and unfortunately all the little safety checks and things you usually do – I just didn't that night."

Daredevil act

Logan is an experienced performer, who says this is his first accident in 10 years in a show that also sees him juggle axes and have breeze blocks smashed on his chest as he rests on a bed of nails.

He has taken his daredevil act across Europe as well as to Australia, New Zealand and Singapore.

 Logan has taken his daredevil act across Europe as well as to Australia, New Zealand and Singapore
Logan has taken his daredevil act across Europe as well as to Australia, New Zealand and Singapore Logy on Fire/Facebook

Logan said: "I teach a lot of people fire performing tricks so I knew what to do in that situation myself so the first thing I did was grab my jacket from the ground behind me and held it up over my face and then a few other people came up and randomly threw drinks trying to put the flames out.

"Some people aimed for my face and others just seemed to throw it in my general direction. After that I spent 10 minutes running cold water on my face and then I went in an ambulance to the Royal to get checked over as there was a lot of people very panicked about what had happened."

The daredevil added: "The funny thing is when I was in with the doctors at the hospital, the beard oil guys had given me oils and lotions to put on and the doctors couldn't get over that despite the fact it was my beard that caught fire, it's still about 95% intact.

"Thankfully it was all superficial and it was just my beard that got the worst of it and the bright side is, I now have a few days off work to relax."