Samsung has rolled out its latest Lollipop official firmware with build number Android 5.0.2 G850XXU2COD4 for the Galaxy Alpha LTE (SM-G850F).
The new Lollipop update brings a bunch of feature enhancements to native Samsung apps such as Messaging app, Camera app, among others. Samsung has also added several performance improvements using Lollipop code optimisation and new drivers for the Galaxy Alpha LTE in the latest update.
The update is now available for download via over-the-air (OTA) as well as through Samsung Kies, for all Galaxy Alpha LTE users in France.
However, those who missed the official OTA notification for some reason and users residing outside France, who cannot wait for its official release in their country, can go ahead and install the same manually, using the step-by-step guide provided below.
Android 5.0.2 XXU2COD4 Firmware Details
Model name: GALAXY Alpha
Version: Android 5.0.2
Build date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 15:58:27 +0000
Product code: XEF
IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after the firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Ensure that you have installed proper USB drivers for Galaxy Alpha on the computer.
- Create a backup of all important data of the phone using custom recovery, before following the installation guide.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to enable connectivity with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Go to Settings>> Developer Options and enable the USB Debugging option.]
- Ensure your Galaxy Alpha LTE is having at least 80% battery charge. Otherwise, the device might inadvertently shut down during the installation process due to lack of battery charge, which in turn could brick the device.
- Ensure your phone has been unlocked before you proceed.
- The phone will lose custom ROM and root access once the stock update is installed. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
- The Lollipop firmware build version G850FXXU2COD4 works with Galaxy Alpha LTE variant only. As flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number and then install firmware based on the model number.
Android 5.0.2 G850FXXU2COD4 (Alternate Link)
Steps to install Android 5.0.2 Lollipop G850FXXU2COD4 stock firmware on Galaxy Alpha
Step-1: Extract the downloaded firmware zip via Winzip or WinRAR.
Step-2: Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v3.10.6.exe with few other files
Step-3: Power off the Galaxy Alpha and boot it into Download Mode by pressing and holding Home, Power and Volume Down button together
Note: Ensure that you have installed proper USB drivers installed on your PC.
Step-4: Launch Odin as Administrator on the computer. Click on Odin.exe and then right-click and choose Run as Administrator from the drop down menu
Step-5: Connect the Galaxy Alpha to the PC via USB cable while it is still in Download mode. After some time Odin will detect the device and when the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn light blue with COM port number. This process might take some time.
Step-6: In Odin, select the firmware files extracted in step-1 using the AP/PDA button.
Step-7: Enable or select Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes in Odin. Also, ensure that Re-Partition checkbox is not ticked.
Step-8: Verify everything above is done correctly and then hit the Start button in Odin
Step-9: The installation should now begin and it would take just a few minutes to complete. Once the process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. When the home screen appears on the phone, disconnect the USB cable from the phone safely.
Android 5.0.2 G850FXXU2COD4 stock firmware is now installed and you can enjoy the latest Lollipop features on your Galaxy Alpha.