A new software update, Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 Jelly Bean, has been released for the Galaxy Nexus (i9250) users. The update brings several bug fixes found in the previous build. It also fixes the Bluetooth bug issue found in Android 4.2.1. The update can be installed via Over-The-Air (OTA).
The Galaxy Nexus users, who have already upgraded their devices with the latest build, may follow our step-by-step instruction guide below to root the device. Along with rooting the guide below installs ClockworkMod recovery on the phone. The ClockworkMod Recovery 188.8.131.52 has been used as custom recovery and SuperSU v1.04 as the rooting package.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. The root method below works only with Galaxy Nexus I9250 running on Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 Jelly Bean, trying this method on any other variant may brick the device.
1) Download and install USB Driver for Galaxy Nexus on the computer.
2) Backup all the date of the phone.
3) Backup all the data of the phone before following the tutorial. If the device is having a custom recovery such as CWM or TWRP, then create a back-up for the same.
4) The Galaxy Nexus should be factory unlocked.
5) The battery of the phone should have more than 80 per cent of charge.
6) Make a Nandroid backup of the previous phone set up before proceeding.
Steps to root Galaxy Nexus I9250 on Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 Jelly Bean firmware
1) Download and install Android SDK from the Android Developers site. Then set it up with downloading platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the Galaxy Nexus
4) Download SuperSU v1.04 (UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.04.zip) for Galaxy Nexus to the computer
5) Connect the Galaxy Nexus to the computer using USB cable and copy the downloaded UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.04.zip file to the SD card of the phone
6) Switch off the phone
7) Download CWM 184.108.40.206 (recovery-clockwork-touch-220.127.116.11-maguro.img) and save to the android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory on the computer
8) Enter into Fastboot/Bootloader Mode on the Galaxy Nexus. Press and hold the Volume Down and Power buttons together for a few seconds until some text on the screen appears. This is Bootloader Mode
9) Browse to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory and open command prompt (Shift + Right Click>> Open Command Prompt)
10) Type the below mentioned command and press Enter
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-18.104.22.168-magu
11) Now choose RECOVERY from the Fastboot menu and enter Recovery Mode
12) In CWM Recovery, scroll down to 'flash zip from SD card' then press the Power button to select it. Again press the Power button to select 'Choose zip from SD card'
13) Use the Volume buttons and navigate to UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.04.zip and select it using the Power button and confirm installation on the next screen. The installation should start now
14) Once the installation is completed, return to the Recovery menu and select 'Reboot System Now' to reboot the phone. The device will take about five minutes to reboot for the first time
The Galaxy Nexus I9250 running on Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 Jelly Bean firmware is now successfully rooted. Check for the SuperSU app in the app list.
[Source: Team Android]