Samsung has rolled out a new firmware featuring build version I9505XXUGNG8 for the LTE model of Galaxy S4 running Snapdragon 600 quad-core processor. I9505XXUGNG8 build is based on Android 4.4.2 KitKat.
Users in Germany can update their devices to the latest firmware build via the Samsung kies server or via OTA update. Although, this is not a major release but brings some improvements and minor fixes.
Model name: Galaxy S4 LTE
Version: Android 4.4.2
Build date: 23 July
Product code: DBT
Those who are staying outside the firmware-supported region and failed to update their device using either of the official methods, may follow our installation guide to flash newly released stock firmware.
As the I9505XXUGNG8 is an unbranded version of firmware, it can be installed on any unlocked GT-I9505 unit.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any mishap.
- Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S4 to connect the Android device with the computer.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> Developer Options>> check the USB Debugging option.]
- As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP then backup data using the same.
- If the Android phone powers off due to lack of battery while the installation process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Galaxy S4 should have charge above 80% battery charge.
- The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
- The phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
- The device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
- I9505XXUGNG8 Android 4.4.2 stock firmware works only with LTE Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505. As flashing this on any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Galaxy S4 by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
How to install I9505XXUGNG8 Android 4.4.2 stock firmware on Galaxy S4 I9505
Step-1: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using any extracting tool to get a .tar.md5 file with few other files, which are optional
Step-2: Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v.3.09.exe with few other files
Step-3: Switch off the Galaxy S4
Step-4: Boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Home, Power and Volume Down button together
Note: Ensure that you have installed USB Drivers installed on the computer.
Step-5: Run Odinas Administrator on the computer
Step-6: Connect the Galaxy S4 to computer using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn light blue with COM port number. This step might take some time
Step-7: In Odin, click AP button and select the firmware file with .tar.md5 extension
Step-8: Enable Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes in Odin. Ensure Re-Partition checkbox is not checked
Step-9: Click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and take a few minutes to complete
Step-10: When the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. Once the home screen appears on the phone, disconnect the phone from the computer
The new stock build I9505XXUGNG8 based on Android 4.4.2 should now be installed on the Galaxy S4. Navigate to Settings>> About phone to verify the software version of the device.
[Source: Team Android]