The LTE variant of Galaxy Note 2 with model number N7105 can now be updated to the latest custom Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean) firmware, thanks to the release of Carbon JB Nightly ROM. The ROM is based on the original Android Open Source Project (AOSP) with its key features borrowed from CyanogenMod (CM), Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) and other popular custom ROMs.
Instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any device damage during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
Head over to the official developer source page for more information about the Carbon JB Nightly ROM.
- The Carbon JB Nightly ROM and instructions provided in this guide are meant for Galaxy Note 2 LTE N7105 model only. Do not attempt installing the firmware on any other model as you might end up bricking the device.
- Ensure the device is factory unlocked and rooted with ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery or TWRP installed on it.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone via one of the custom recovery tools such as CWM or TWRP to prevent data loss during firmware installation.
- Ensure the device has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- Enable USB Debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if phone is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier). If the device is running Android 4.2, then perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap Build number seven times to unlock or reveal hidden Developer Options. Now, select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
How to Install Android 4.3 Carbon JB Nightly ROM on Galaxy Note 2 LTE N7105
- Download Android 4.3 Carbon JB Nightly ROM and Google Apps package for Galaxy Note 2 N7105 on computer.
- Connect the phone to computer with original USB cable and copy the downloaded Carbon JB Nightly ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
- Power off the phone and boot it into Recovery mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Up and Home buttons together and then simultaneously tap the Power button until the Samsung logo appears on the screen. This confirms entry into Recovery mode.
- Before flashing the new ROM do the following steps in CWM recovery:
> wipe data/factory reset
> wipe cache
> go to "advanced" and perform wipe dalvik cache
> go to "mounts and storage" and format system
- In CWM recovery, click Install Zip from SD card and select the ROM zip file copied earlier to the phone's SD card (repeat this step for installing Google Apps as well). After selecting the ROM file, allow the ROM to be installed on the device. This process may take about five minutes to complete.
- After the device is updated, hit Reboot System Now to reboot the phone into the newly installed ROM.
Carbon JB Nightly ROM is now successfully installed on your Galaxy Note 2 (LTE) N7105. Go to Settings > About Phone to check the firmware version installed.