Samsung recently released its flagship phablet (hybrid of phone and tablet), the Galaxy Note 3, which offers an impressive hardware configuration including a quad-core 2.3 GHz Krait 400 processor, 3GB of RAM and 13 megapixel camera. The Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean) based pre-rooted stock firmware is now available for manual installation, which grants root access to the device via SuperSU mode.
As the rooting solution installs root access on a stock firmware, it will not void the device of its hardware warranty. This is because the binary flash counter on the device will be unaffected, as it does not make any custom changes to the base firmware.
In other words, the root package used in the tutorial does not install an insecure kernel or use custom package such as Chainfire root, but instead uses ODIN flash tool to safeguard the device warranty.
NOTE: Rooting is essential to gain full system access to the device in order to install third-party root apps, custom ROMs and latest system tweaks. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any device damage during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The Android 4.3 based pre-rooted stock firmware and instructions provided in this guide are meant for Galaxy Note 3 LTE N9005 model. Go to settings > About Phone to verify the device model number.
- Back up important data and settings on the Note 3 to prevent data loss during firmware installation.
- Odin runs only on Windows based devices. So, ensure that your device is connected to a Windows computer or notebook during firmware installation.
- Keep the device's original USB cable handy for connecting it to computer.
- Navigate to Settings > applications > development and enable USB debugging option.
- Ensure the device has at least 80% battery charge before you proceed.
- Deactivate or disable any security programs on your computer, as such programs may interfere with the root installation process.
- This tutorial is applicable to both rooted and non-rooted Galaxy Note 3 LTE N9005 devices.
How to Root Galaxy Note 3 LTE N9005 on Android 4.3 Pre-Rooted Stock Firmware
Step 1 - Download Android 4.3 pre-rooted stock firmware to your computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v3.07 which is needed to root stock firmware on your phone.
Step 3 - Power off the phone and boot it into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold the Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until the Samsung logo or red and yellow text appears on screen.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on computer and connect your phone to it, while the phone is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 - When the phone connects successfully, the "added" message will be displayed in ODIN and one of the ID: COM boxes will turn yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This process may take some time. So, leave it alone.
Step 6 - Choose the file that needs to be flashed or installed on your phone. This file is obtained from the extracted file in Step 1.
- Click 'PDA 'checkbox and select the pre-rooted firmware file.
Step 7 - In ODIN, ensure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options are selected.
Step 8 - Click Start button in ODIN and root installation process will begin, which would take just a few minutes to complete.
Step 9 - Once the root installation is completed, your phone will reboot into Recovery Mode automatically and install the root package files. At this point, your device ID: COM box will also turn green displaying a PASS message.
Step 10 - Finally, when the home screen appears, disconnect the phone from computer.
- If the device fails to boot into Recovery Mode automatically (as given in Step 10) and root your device, then repeat the entire procedure from start.
- If the issue still persists, repeat the entire tutorial, but make sure that"Auto Reboot" option is NOT checkedin ODIN. Then after installation (Step 9), do the following:
- Remove the battery to Power OFF the phone forcefully.
- Boot (turn ON your phone) by pressing Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together to enter Recovery Modemanually. This will initiate the root install process on your phone.
- If ODIN is stuck or not responding, disconnect the handset from computer and force restart the phablet. Now reinstall the device drivers on computer and repeat the entire tutorial from start.
- If the device is stuck in boot loop, then reboot it in recovery and choose Wipe Data Factory Reset and Wipe Cache Partition. Finally, return to main recovery menu and tap Reboot System Now.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE N9005 is now rooted on Android 4.3 pre-rooted stock firmware. Check for the SuperSU app in your apps list to verify.
To ensure the root package is installed correctly and working, verify with Root Checker app.
[Source: Android Geeks]