The Galaxy S2 I9100G is among the lucky few Android devices to relish the hybrid user-interface (UI) experience on the highly accredited ParanoidAndroid 3.0 ROM. The latest iteration of ParanoidAndroid ROM brings the best Android custom features that are carefully hand-picked from popular Jelly Bean custom ROMs such as CyanogenMod and AOKP. The new version touted as "AOSPA 3+" introduces PIE controls for a unique Android experience.
Note: Pie Controls are quick controls that are triggered by swiping on the display. While unused, they will be hidden, but with the quick swipe of a finger, you have access to settings and home buttons, or whichever way you want to configure them for your device.
Key Points to Note
- ParanoidAndroid 3.0 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are limited to the international variant Galaxy S2 I9100G model and will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone via one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G USB drivers).
- Double check to see that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running on Android 4.0 or later) or Settings >Applications> Development (if the phone is running on Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise, if the device is running Android 4.2, perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom of thescreenand select Build Number
- Tap the phone's Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure that the phone has at least 80 percent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Ensure that the device is unlocked (not locked to any specific carrier) and rooted with CWM recovery installed on it.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after the firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S2 I9100G via ParanoidAndroid 3.0 (AOSPA 3+) ROM
1. Download ParanoidAndroid 3.0 custom ROM and Google Apps from XDA source link here. Without extracting, save the file to the computer.
2. Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2 ROMs from here. Save the file to your computer, without unzipping it.
3. Connect the device to computer and copy both files to the phone's internal SD card. Finally, disconnect the device from computer once the process is done.
4. Turn off the phone and boot it into Recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together. Then release all three buttons when the custom Recovery screen appears.
5. Choose Backup and Restore option from the main Recovery menu and hit Yes to confirm the backup operation. A restore point is now created which allows you to go back to the previous ROM if something goes wrong with the new ROM. To do so, just boot into CWM Recovery and then restore from ROM backup.
6. Click Wipe Data/ Factory Reset and click Yes to Confirm the process.
7. Choose Install Zip from SD card and then click Choose Zip from SD card. Browse and locate the ParanoidAndroid I9100G zip file and confirm its installation. Wait for a few minutes until the installation is complete and then proceed to the next step.
8. Once again hit Choose Zip from SD card. But, this time choose the Gapps zip file instead of ROM zip to install Google Apps package. Finally, click Yes to Confirm.
9. Return to the main CWM Recovery menu and tap Reboot System Now.
10. ParanoidAndroid ROM may take about five minutes to complete its first boot process after installation. So, please be patient. Then the phone will boot into normal mode and enables you to enter your Google Account details in order to gain full access to the phone.
[Source: Android Geeks]