Android 7.0 Nougat began seeding to Google's nexus devices sometime back and it will be a while before it can hit other handsets. Developers at XDA who aggressively focus on building custom ROMs based on Android versions have come out with the first unofficial CynogenMod 14 based on Android 7.0 Nougat for the OnePlus 3.
This means Android fanatics who desperately want to get a taste of Nougat and its features can download the build on their OnePlus 3. Since this is the first build and that it's unofficial, it is not stable, nor does it have all the features working including the call feature most integral to a phone.
Despite that, there may be many who would want to taste Android 7.0 before it officially hits the OnePlus 3 and knowing that one cannot make calls you can proceed to update your OS.
Do not forget to create a backup before you jump to the guide. Also note that installation is at your risk and IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage that occurs during the process.
- Copy the CM14 ROM file and Gapps package to the device's internal storage and remember the location where it is saved
- Install a custom recovery (TWRP, CWM, etc) on your device
- Boot into Recovery mode
- Back up data on your current ROM
- Select Wipe and do a Swipe to Factory Reset
- Return to the main menu of TWRP recovery and select Install
- Go to the location where the CM14 ROM zip file is and select it
- Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of the screen
- Wait for process to complete
- After the ROM is flashed, flash the Gapps package
- Now go to recovery's Main menu and Reboot
What is working
- The basic Nougat UI is working including multi window and quick settings
- Animations are dramatised and improved
- A new feature called O-Click specially for selfie sticks
- Root working
- Fingerprint sensor working
- Phone boot is faster compared to Marshmallow
- Bluetooth working
- Mobile data working
- WiFi working
- RIL is broken which means no phone calls through SIM
- Camera HAL is broken and any camera app installed will force-close
- Battery life is bad so keep charger handy
- Phone overheating on prolonged usage
- APKs downloaded locally won't be installed
- Now-on-tap feature not working
- Alert slider broken
- Dash Charge is broken
- Blue LED is always ON
- Lags here and there
As you can see, many prime features like calling and camera are not yet working.