Fresh Mark
The Fresh Mark Inc plant in Ohio. Fox News

A 62-year-old man died at a meat processing plant on Saturday (16 December) after getting his leg caught in a waste grinder, the Stark County Coroner's Office has confirmed.

The incident took place around 5pm at Fresh Mark plant in Canton, Ohio.

Fox 8 Cleveland reported that Samuel Martinez accidentally stepped into a chute and got entangled in the grinder.

Local police have said he died at the scene, with an autopsy said to have taken place the following day.

Fresh Mark, Inc has been producing bacon, ham, hot dogs and deli meat at the plant, located about 60 miles outside of Cleveland, for nearly 100 years having been founded in 1920.

The factory produces meat sold in local stores, restaurants and catering companies both in the United States and around the world.

In 2011 another employee at the same processing plant was electrocuted when the victim tried to plug in a fan while standing in a puddle of water.