Maundy Thursday, which is observed by Catholics on the Thursday before Easter, commemorates Jesus Christ's Last Supper with his apostles. This year, the occasion falls on 24 March.
The word Maundy is derived from the Latin word "mandatum", which means a commandment. Christ established the Eucharist during the Last Supper by washing the feet of his disciples and passing around bread and wine as a sign of love and humility. During holy mass on Maundy Thursday, Christians around the world recollect events of the Last Supper.
Christians believe Jesus Christ told his disciples during the Last Supper that the bread was his body broken for them, while the wine was his blood, shed for them. It was on this night that one of Christ's disciples, Judas, betrayed him in the Garden of Gethsemane, for 30 pieces of silver coins.
IBTimes UK has compiled top ten quotes about the Holy Eucharist. Check out the list below:
1. "If we but paused for a moment to consider attentively what takes place in this Sacrament, I am sure that the thought of Christ's love for us would transform the coldness of our hearts into a fire of love and gratitude." – St Angela of Foligno
2. "When you look at the Crucifix, you understand how much Jesus loved you then. When you look at the Sacred Host you understand how much Jesus loves you now." – Blessed Mother Teresa
3. "I hunger for the bread of God, the flesh of Jesus Christ ...; I long to drink of his blood, the gift of unending love." –St Ignatius of Antioch
4. "I throw myself at the foot of the Tabernacle like a dog at the foot of his Master." – St John Vianney
5. "And as they were eating, he took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to them, and said, 'Take; this is my body.' And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, and they all drank of it. And he said to them, 'This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many.'" – Mark 14:22-24
6. "And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, 'This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.' And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, 'This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.'" – Luke 22:19-20
7. "Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'" –John 14:6
8. "So Jesus said to them, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.'" - John 6:53
9. "God dwells in our midst, in the Blessed Sacrament of the altar." – St Maximilian Kolbe
10. "And as he was setting out on his journey, a man ran up and knelt before him and asked him, 'Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?' And Jesus said to him, 'Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone. You know the commandments: Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.' And he said to him, 'Teacher, all these I have kept from my youth.' And Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, 'You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.'" – Mark 10:17-31