Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew is confident his squad is equipped to avoid a repeat of last season and has backed Loic Remy to be the man to finally replace Demba Ba.
As Joe Kinnear assumed control of the club's transfer dealings in May, the club were expected to significantly add to their squad after narrowly avoiding relegation as they ended the season in a disappointing 16<sup>th place.
But the only additions to the Newcastle dressing room came though the arrival of 16-year-old Olivier Kemen and Loic Remy on a season long loan deal from Queens Park Rangers, despite Pardew being very keen to add another forward to his ranks.
Despite concerns over the strength of the squad at his disposal, Pardew insists that the club's deals last January that saw five new faces join the club leave them with enough options.
"It's important sometimes to understand that we have a very good team," Pardew told a press conference.
"We invested 30-odd million in the last window, we have brought Remy in.
"We have brought a lot of young players here who I think will hopefully blossom. That's why they were brought here. The likes of Sammy Ameobi and Paul Dummett, part of my management is to develop players."
Newcastle found themselves locked in a battle to sign France international Bafetimbi Gomis from Lyon for a number of weeks leading up to transfer deadline day.
Despite at one stage agreeing a fee with the Ligue 1 outfit, Kinnear and Newcastle were unable to agree a deal with the striker and the proposed move fell by the wayside.
Following the closure of the transfer window the Magpies' boss released a statement declaring the club opted not to sign particular targets due to their financial demands not aligning with the quality of the player.
Pardew reiterated that stance when speaking for the first time since then, insisting the club worked to their limits to bring in new faces.
"Having said that, our fans wanted a marquee signing, probably, and that's what we were looking at, somebody that would really threaten the first team.
"But we couldn't get it over the line in terms of what we wanted and unfortunately that's the position we are in.
"But having said all of that, I still think we have got a very, very strong side."
Remy, who turned down Newcastle to sign for QPR in January, is set to make his debut this Saturday against Aston Villa, and Pardew firmly believes the Frenchman of capable of filling the goal-scoring void that has gaped ever since Demba Ba left the club for Chelsea nine months ago.
"I think he's (Remy) got enough in the tank to be considered for a start," Pardew added.
"At some stage he needs to be pitched in. Since Demba left, we've lacked a player that has increased our goal threat.
"With all due respect to the players that we have, we need a player that can put the other team on the back foot. I think Remy does that.
"We've got Papiss Cisse, Shola Ameobi and Yoan Gouffran to complement that. I think hopefully they will all stay fit.
"That's probably the one fault that you would say against us in this window, that other offensive player would have just protected us a little bit which unfortunately we didn't secure."