AOKP ROM has evolved into one of the most favourite custom ROM releases for the Nexus S phone, thanks to its regular feature enhancements, performance upgrades and up-to-date bug-fixes. The latest version of AOKP ROM, AOKP Milestone 1, brings performance upgrades, bug-fixes and feature enhancements in one neat package that enables the Nexus S users relish the goodness of latest Jelly Bean update - Android 4.1.2.
It must, however, be noted that the new AOKP ROM is based on a custom firmware with add-on features on top of stock AOSP ROM for Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean and it is not an official firmware.
Key Points to Note
- The AOKP Milestone 1 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable for the international variant Nexus S I9020 model only and will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed on your Nexus S I9020 to enable connectivity with the computer.Download Samsung Nexus S I9020 USB drivers.
- Enable USB debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Application > Development and check the USB debugging option. This feature helps in connecting your Android Phone with the computer.
- Users are advised to backup their apps, important personal data and settings to avoid data loss while flashing the AOKP Milestone 1 ROM or installing the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update.
- Make sure that your phone battery is at least 85 percent charged to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the firmware update.
- Verify that your phone is factory unlocked and rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery installed on it.
- Samsung KIES will not recognise your phone after the AOKP Milestone 1 ROM is installed, as it is a custom ROM.
- It must be noted that the ROM is not an official release, but rather a custom ROM based on AOSP release of the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of installing the AOKP Milestone 1 ROM based Jelly Bean update on the Nexus S I9020. Users are cautioned to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install AOKP Milestone 1 ROM Based Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Update on Nexus S I9020
Step 2 - Connect and mount your Nexus S USB mass storage on your computer using a USB cable.
Step 3 - Now, copy the AOKP ROM zip and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on your Phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off your phone. Now, press and hold the Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons together until the device boots into Bootloader Mode.
Step 6 - Follow the onscreen navigational instructions. Now, select Bootloader and then boot into CWM Recovery Mode.
Step 7 - In CWM recovery, perform full data wipe first. Then navigate to flash zip from SD card option and tap the Power button to select it.
Step 8 - Hit the Power button again and click choose zip from SD card.
Step 9 - Now, use volume keys to navigate to AOKP ROM zip file and choose it using the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should begin.
NOTE: Repeat this step for installing Google Apps.
Step 10 - Once the ROM is installed, hit Go Back and tap Reboot System Now from the recovery menu. The phone will reboot now and the first boot may take about 5 minutes to complete. So, leave it alone..
AOKP Milestone 1 ROM based Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update is now successfully installed on your Nexus S I9020. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]