The international variant of Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 (SM-G7102) recently received the next-generation (GENNXT) pre-rooted stock firmware from XDA Developers' senior member, balliboxer.
GENNXT Pre-Rooted Android 4.3 Stock Firmware Features
The pre-rooted stock firmware based on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean brings a host of noteworthy features to Galaxy Grand 2 and a few of them are listed below:
- init.d support
- S Note
- 3D Gallery
- Multiwindows 4 at same time
- popup browser
- xposed installer
- wanam xposed
- xposed app settings change dpi
- youtube ad away xposed
- viper4android music effects
- Haptic feedback in settings
- Greenify xposed
Head over to the XDA Developers forum page (check source link below) to learn more about the various new features ported into this pre-rooted stock firmware.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any device damage during or after root installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
1. Install necessary USB Drivers for Galaxy Grand 2 (SM-G7102) on the computer.
2. USB Debugging Mode should be enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings >> Developer Options.
3. Back up your important data to avoid potential data loss during firmware installation.
4. Ensure the phone is factory unlocked (not locked to any specific carrier) and running the latest Jelly Bean official firmware.
5. Verify Galaxy Grand 2 has at least 80 percent battery charge.
6. The CF-Auto-Root tool is compatible with Galaxy Grand 2 (SM-G7102) only. Do not attempt installing it on incorrect variants as it may brick the device. Verify the model number of the Galaxy Grand 2 by navigating to Settings >> About Phone.
Steps to Root Galaxy Grand 2 with GENNXT Pre-Rooted Stock ROM v1.2
Step 1: Extract GENNXT pre-rooted stock ROM and Odin 3.09 files using WinRAR, 7-Zip or WinZip.
Step 2: Power off the Galaxy Grand 2 and wait for about 6 to 7 seconds. Now boot it into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until the device enters Download Mode.
Step 3: Launch Odin on the computer as Administrator.
Step 4: Connect the Galaxy Grand 2 to computer with USB cable in Download Mode. Wait until Odin recognises the device and the ID: COM box will turn light blue with the COM port number. Furthermore, when the device is connected successfully, a message saying "Added!" appears on screen.
Step 5: In Odin, tap AP button and select the GenNxt_PreRooted_SMG7102Grand2_BalliBoxer.zip file.
Step 6: Ensure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options are selected in Odin. But, the Re-Partition option must be unchecked.
Step 7: Verify the step 5 and step 6, before clicking Start button in Odin. When you hit Start, the root installation process will begin.
Step 8: After the root installation process completes, your phone will reboot and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. It is now safe to disconnect the USB cable and remove the phone from computer.
- If the device fails to reboot into recovery mode or root the device, then repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- If the issue still persists, perform the tutorial once again; but disable or uncheck "Auto Reboot" option in Odin.
- Remove the battery to completely shut-down the device.
- Now boot the phone once again into Recovery mode manually (press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons). This will restart the root installation process on your phone.
Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 (SM-G7102) is now rooted on GENNXT Pre-rooted stock firmware. It is now possible to install any app that requires root permission.
Alternately, download and install Root Checker app from Google Play Store to confirm the root status of the device.