Roy Hodgson has quit as England manager in the aftermath of the crushing Euro 2016 elimination to Iceland. Hodgson, whose contract was due to expire this summer, told a post-match press conference: "I am sorry it will have to end this way but these things happen.

"I hope you will still be able to see an England team in a final of a major tournament soon."

The departing England boss also confirmed his assistant managers Ray Lewington and Gary Neville will also leave their roles.

Hodgson took the reins in May 2012 ahead of England's Euro 2012 campaign, where they were eliminated by eventual finalists Italy after a credible campaign.

They failed however to win a single game at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, exiting the competition at the group stages.

England cruised into Euro 2016 after a flawless qualifying campaign but finished second in their group following draws with Russia and Slovakia. Despite appearing to secure a favourable draw in the last 16 stage, they have been eliminated in humiliating fashion after one of the worst performances in recent memory.

Roy Hodgson
Hodgson walks away after humiliating night for English football. Getty

"We are out of the Euros so now is the time for someone else to oversee the progress of a hungry and extremely talented group of players," Hodgson continued. "They have done fantastically, and done everything asked of them. When I arrived I was told that players would not turn up or pull out at the last minute but I haven't seen any of that.

"It's been a fantastic journey the last four years, I will look back on it with pride. I want to thank the media for the support you've given me for in the last four years."

A statement from the FA read: "Like the nation, we are disappointed to lose this evening and that our run in Euro 2016 has come to a premature end. We had high hopes of progressing through to the latter stages of the competition and accept that we have not met our own expectations or those of the country.

"We back Roy Hodgson's decision to step down as England manager and will discuss next steps imminently."

England took the lead in Nice after just four minutes when Raheem Sterling won a penalty with captain Wayne Rooney slotting home. Just 34 seconds later however, Ragnar Sigurdsson levelled the contest before Kolbein Sigthorsson added a second for Iceland after another error from Joe Hart.