Samsung has just started rolling out its highly-anticipated Android 4.4.2 KitKat update with build number N9005XXUENA6 for Galaxy Note 3 Snapdragon variant (quad-core) in Poland via KIES software.
Though there is no official confirmation yet, the new KitKat update is expected to go Over-The-Air (OTA) pretty soon. This is the same firmware build that leaked online just a couple of days ago.
As SamMobile reports, the firmware seems stable enough to make its way through this official release. Those who are residing outside Poland will need to wait a few more days or weeks before receiving this firmware in their country or region.
Those who can no longer wait for its official release can download the same manually and install it using our step-by-step guide given below. With due credit to SamMobile insider, some of the noteworthy features have been revealed through an internal Samsung document - the official Android 4.4.2 KitKat changelog for Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005.
Some of the key features ported into Android 4.4.2 N9005XXUENA6 official firmware are as follows:
- Stock Android KitKat features mirroring Google Edition ROMs
- Option to select default messaging app and default launcher from the settings menu
- More integrated location menu with tighter control over location services
- More emojis added to keyboard
- Wireless printing support integrated into the operating system (OS) with the option to choose between native and HP printing service
Download the complete changelogfor N9005XXUENA6 official firmware as PowerPoint (PPT) presentation here.
In related news, a senior member at XDA developers, Skander1998, has done a quick review of the features available on Android 4.4.2 KitKat which is listed below:
- Everything seems to run faster: unlocking, settings, apps and without any stutter or lag anywhere.
- New lockscreen options, and music player on lockscreen etc.
- Status bar white and defaults to pure black instead of dark grey when not transparent.
- More RAM availability: up to 2.7GB RAM
- Camera seems less prone to low light problems and blurring effects
- Pen Window supports more apps, while being much faster
- No ART (as it is still in experimental stage)
- Excellent battery life
- Interestingly not heating as much while offering better performance
- Security Policy and security framework/settings redone - now allows manual updating besides having its own menu.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat N9005XXUENA6 Firmware Details
- Model: SM-N9005
- Country: Poland
- Version: Android 4.4.2
- Changelist: 340325
- Build date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 14:20:24 +0000
- Product Code: XEO
- PDA: N9005XXUENA6
- CSC: N9005OXXENA5
- MODEM: N9005XXUENA2
NOTE: As the firmware is unbranded, it can be installed on any unlocked Galaxy Note 3 international LTE variant (SM-9005) regardless of the country or region.
Interested users may go ahead and install the latest N9005XXUENA6 official firmware manually, using our step-by-step guide. IBTimes UK will not be held responsible for any device damage during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Take a backup of important data and settings on the phone via stock recovery to prevent data loss during root installation.
- Verify correct USB driversfor the phone are installed on the computer (download Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 USB drivers)
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on the phone, by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (NOTE:Tap the device's Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Optionsunder Settings.) Then select the checkbox to enable USB debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure the device has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a specific carrier.
How to Install N9005XXUENA6 Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update on Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005
Step 1: Extract the firmware zip file using winrar, 7zip or winzip to obtain a .tar.md5 file and some other files.
Step 2: Extract Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.09.exe along with few other files.
Step 3: Power off the Galaxy Note 3.
Step 4: Boot the device into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until a construction Android robot icon with a warning triangle appears on screen. Now tap Volume Up button to enter Download Mode.
Step 5: Run Odin on computer as an Administrator.
Step 6: Connect Galaxy Note 3 to computer with USB cable while the phone is still in Download Mode. Wait until Odin detects the device and ID: COM box turns light blue with the COM port number. At this moment, a message saying the device was successfully added appears on screen.
Note: If the Added message does not appear, then try re-installing USB drivers or changing the port on computer.
Step 7: Select the following files in Odin from extracted N9005XXUENA6 firmware folder:
- Click the PDA button and select .tar.md5 file.
- Click the Phone button and select file with MODEM in its name.
- Click the CSC button and select file with CSC in its name.
- Click the PIT button and select the .pit file.
NOTE: Ignore the last three files (MODEM, CSC and .pit) if they are missing. Proceed to Step 8.
Step 8: In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. But, the Re-Partition checkbox should be checked only if a .pit file was chosen in the previous step.
Step 9: Verify everything suggested in Step 7 and Step 8 is done correctly. Then hit Startbutton to begin the installation process.
Step 10: Once the installation process completes, your phone will restart and soon a PASSmessage with green background appears at the top-left-most box in Odin. You can now remove the USB cable to disconnect the phone from computer.
Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005 should now be updated with official Android 4.4.2 XXUENA6 KitKat. Go to Settings >> About Phone to verify the firmware installed.
If the Galaxy Note 3 is stuck at boot animation or boot loops after Step 10 then go to recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together) and perform Wipe data/Factory Reset and Wipe Cache Partition task before selecting reboot system now function. NOTE: In recovery mode use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select the desired option. Please note that performing wiping task will erase your device's internal memory data and not external SD card data.
For further assistance, check out the video tutorial below:
Those who have already updated their Galaxy Note 3 to the latest N9005XXUENA6 official firmware can root the same via Odin. Check out our step-by-step guide to root N9005XXUENA6 firmware below:
Steps to Root N9005XXUENA6 Android 4.4.2 Official Firmware on Galaxy Note 3
Step 1 - Download CF-Auto-Root Android 4.4.2 Package with SuperSU fix for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 to computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v3.07 which is needed to root Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy Note 3.
Step 3 - Switch off the phone and boot it into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Down and Home buttons together, and then tap Power button until the construction Android robot with a triangle icon appears on screen. Hit the Power button again to confirm entry into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on computer and connect your phone to it while the phone is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 - When the phone connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes will turn yellow with the COM port number. This process may take some time. So, leave it alone.
Step 6 - Now select the file that needs to be flashed or installed on your phone, which can be found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click on 'PDA' and select the file 'CF-Auto-Root-hlte-hltexx-smn9005.zip'.
Step 7 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. But, leave all other options at their default settings.
Step 8 - Click Start button in ODIN and let the installation process begin. It should take just a few minutes to complete.
Step 9 – Once the root installation is done, your phone will reboot into Recovery Mode automatically and install the root package files. At this moment, the ID: COM box will also turn green.
Step 10 – Finally, when the home screen boots up, just disconnect your phone from computer.
NOTE: In case the device fails to boot into Recovery Mode automatically (as given in Step 10) or cannot root your device, repeat the entire procedure again.
OPTIONAL: If the issue still persists, repeat the entire tutorial. But, ensure that the Auto Reboot option is unchecked. Then after installation (Step 10), do the following:
Step 11 - Remove battery to Power off the phone forcefully.
Step 12 - Now boot the phone into Recovery mode manually by tapping Volume Up, Home and Power buttons. This will initialize the root process on your phone.
Your Galaxy Note 3 is now rooted on N9005XXUENA6 Android 4.4.2 official firmware. Check for SuperSU app in your apps list to verify if root is installed correctly.
You can double-check that root access is working by installing Root Checker app from the Google Play Store.