There is good news for Sony Xperia Z2 and Z3 users as they will soon receive the more recent Android 5.1.1 (Lollipop) OS update.
As confirmed on the Xperia blog, Z2 and Z3 users can expect the Android 5.1.1 update by end July. The roll-out is expected to commence from Japan.
From there on, Xperia blog post hints, the newer Lollipop will roll-out to users of device around the world.
Previously the Xperia Z2 and Z3 were seeded Android 5.0.2 (Lollipop). The devices originally ran the outdated Android 4.4.2 (KitKat) OS out of the box.
Below are new features that will come along with the latest update:
- New icons in Settings menu
- More Wi-Fi and Bluetooth options within the notification menu
- Newer animation effects
The 5.1.1 firmware includes all changes brought along by the older Android 5.0.2 (Lollipop) OS update, including:
- Material Design: A colourful and responsive UI design for consistent, intuitive experiences across devices.
- Notifications: View and respond to messages directly from your lock screen. Includes the ability to hide sensitive content for these notifications.
- Battery Saver feature: The new feature extends the device's battery life by up to 90 minutes.
- Enhanced security: Android Smart Lock can secure your phone or tablet by pairing it with a trusted device like your wearable or your car.
- Device Sharing: Multiple users for phones.
- New Quick Settings: Enables users to get to the most frequently used settings with just two swipes at the top of the screen.
- Connectivity: Improved network hand-offs resulting in limited interruption in connectivity.
- Android TV: Support for television.
- OK Google: Talk to Google on the go to get quick answers, send a text, and get directions and more.
The 5.1.1 update will be available for Xperia Z2 and Z3 users via OTA notifications. Users can also initiate a manual search for the same by navigating to Settings > About Phone > System Updates > Check now.