Samsung is unlikely to roll out any official Lollipop update for its ageing smartphone, the Galaxy Nexus (GT-I9250), while the industrious Android custom ROM developers have already unleashed the latest Android 5.1 Lollipop update via Euphoria OS ROM.
The Euphoria OS ROM is said to be a highly-stable release with the latest Lollipop features being ported into it. Interested users may go ahead and install this ROM manually, using the step-by-step guide provided below.
NOTE: As the ROM is in its early stages of development, it may harbour a few untested bugs or broken features such as Ambient Display not working or GPS and Touch control being a bit erratic. However, all basic functions are reportedly working fine with this build of Lollipop custom ROM.
IBTimes UK reminds readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after the ROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
Android 5.1 Google Apps (Black edition - for extended battery life)
Android 5.1 Google Apps (Full)
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250 variantonly. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Galaxy Nexus USB drivers).
- Enable USB Debugging mode via Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or above) or Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Ensure that the device is rooted with TWRP recovery installed and its bootloader is unlocked.
Steps to install official Euphoria OS Android 5.1 ROM on Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250
Step 1 - Download Euphoria OS Android 5.1 custom ROM for Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250 on the computer
Step 2 - Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on computer with USB cable.
Step 3 - Now, copy the downloaded Euphoria OS ROM zip file to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5 - Boot the device into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons together. NOTE: You can back up important data on your current ROM by choosing Backup in TWRP recovery and then tapping on Swipe to Back Up option at the bottom of the screen.
Step 6 – After taking the backup on TWRP Recovery, perform a full data wipe task by clicking Wipe > Advanced Wipe. Use the Volumekeys to navigate between options and Power button to select an option in the Recovery Mode.
Step 7 – Then choose Cache, Dalvik/ART Cache and Data. Finally, do the Swipe to wipe from the bottom of the screen to prepare the device for flashing the ROM after erasing the cache, dalvik cache and data in one shot. This will help in preventing boot loop issues or any boot ROM related errors during firmware installation.
Step 8 - Then return to the main recovery menu and click Install button.
Step 9 - Use volume keys to navigate to the Euphoria OS ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone's SD card and choose it by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen by doing the Swipe to Confirm Flash from the bottom and then the installation process will begin.
Note: Repeat Step 8 and Step 9 to install Google Apps (Gapps) as well.
Step 10 - Once the ROM and Gapps installation completes, go to "+++++Go Back+++++" and select Reboot System Now in the Recovery menu.
The phone will now reboot and the first boot may take about five minutes to complete. So, please be patient.
Your Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250 is now running the latest Android 5.1 Lollipop via Euphoria OS ROM. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: The Android Soul]