Senior XDA member AntaresOne has shared an otimised version of CyanogenMod 12 for the quad-core Snapdragon 600 powered Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505). This is the first Android Lollipop ROM for the Galaxy S4 Snapdragon 600 variant that brings Android 5.0.2 Lollipop update, ahead of the official roll-out. Check out the changelog and the known issues in this build.
- GPS: reverted to old configurations/vendor blobs (now works again in device-only mode too)
- SELinux updates
- Completed updates from GPE 5.0
- Fixed green screen tint also while charging battery (no more bug at all)
- Updated missing video drivers code
- Cleanup button wake settings
- Upstream updates from CM12
- Xposed framework is not compatible with Lollipop.
- CAF related issue: Cracking sound at high volume
- Device-related issue: none
If you wish to update your Galaxy S4 to the latest Android Lollipop version using CyanogenMod alpha build, head over to the following installation method.
Points to remember
- As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup using any custom recoveries.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Go to Settings>> About phone. Scroll down to Build number, Tap seven times on the build number. The Developer options under Settings should appear now. You can now enable USB debugging mode.]
- The Galaxy S4 Mini should have above 80% of battery charge to avoid unusual shut down due to lack of battery, which could damage the device.
- The phone should be rooted and have latest version of recovery. TWRP Recovery v18.104.22.168 with F2FS management support is recommended.
- The optimised CyanogenMod 12 ROM based on Android 5.0.2 is only meant for Galaxy S4 I9505 and flashing this on any incorrect model might brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of the smartphone and install the custom firmware.
- Installing this early CyanogenMod 12 build will introduce bugs. But these are expected to be fixed in course of development.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any mishap with the device.
How to install Android 5.0.2 on Galaxy S4 I9505 (Snapdragon 600) using optimised CyanogenMod 12 ROM
Step-1: Connect the Galaxy S4 to the computer using USB cable then copy the downloaded zip files to the SD card of the phone and remember the location
Step-2: Unplug the USB cable from the phone and switch it off
Step-3: Boot the phone into recovery mode. To do this, turn the phone on while pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together
Step-4: In recovery mode, perform a full data wipe by selecting wipe data/ factory reset. Use the Power button to select while in Recovery Mode
Step-5: Return to the main recovery menu and select install zip from sdcard then choose zip from sdcard. Using the Volume rockers navigate to Lollipop ROM zip, which was copied to the phone's SD card. Select it using the Power button and confirm installation on the next screen
Step-6: When the ROM is installed, repeat the similar procedure to flash the Gapps file
Step-7: Install SuperSU root package
Step-9: After the installation process is completed, reboot phone by selecting reboot system now from the recovery menu
Note: First boot after the installation will take some time, at least five minutes. So wait until the process is completed and do not press any button.
Your Galaxy S4 should be updated with the optimised CyanogenMod ROM featuring with latest Android Lollipop version.