Valencia winger Sofiane Feghouli could miss his side's La Liga trip to leaders Barcelona on Sunday (17 April). after being subject to an internal disciplinary procedure. The Algeria international, who is out of contract in June, has been indefinitely suspended by his club following a much-needed victory over Sevilla at the Mestalla last weekend.
Feghouli played the latter stages of that 2-1 win, replacing Santi Mina for the final 13 minutes as a stoppage-time winner from former Manchester City striker Alvaro Negredo ended a run of four straight defeats and pushed Pako Ayestaran's side nine points clear of relegation danger with six matches remaining. It was Los Che's second outing since Gary Neville was sacked as head coach in March, just four months after being appointed successor to Nuno on a short-term contract.
In a statement released via their official website, Valencia said: "Valencia Club de Futbol have decided to open a disciplinary procedure involving player Sofiane Feghouli. During the processing of said procedure, and awaiting the resolution of the matter, the player will be suspended as a cautionary measure, in accordance with the current convention between the AFE and Liga de Fútbol Profesional."
The six-time Spanish champions have not disclosed why Feghouli is subject to disciplinary measures, although AS report that flight problems during a return from France caused the 26-year-old to miss training in the aftermath of a narrow loss to Las Palmas earlier this month. The BBC cite reports claiming that he may have refused to take part in a warm-down following that aforementioned Sevilla match.
Feghouli looks almost certain to leave Valencia on a free transfer this summer, with Barcelona themselves said to have held previously held an interest in his services as a potential replacement for the departed Pedro. Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool have also been linked with a move, while Turkish title contenders Fenerbahce are thought to be major contenders for his signature.