After Motorola's Moto X (2014) was officially seeded Google's Android 5.1 (Lollipop) OS update, its predecessor, the Moto X (2013) is likely to receive the firmware upgrade soon.
According to a GSMArena report, Android 5.1 is now active for first-gen Moto X users in Brazil in the form of a soak test version.
The report quotes an Indian web portal that states the public release of the update will soon seed to first-gen Moto X users in the country, while owners of the handset across the world can expect the latest firmware in the near future.
New enhancements brought along by Android 5.1
Android 5.1 fixes major bugs inherent in the previous Android 5.0 firmware. Since Moto X (2013) users were not seeded the Android 5.0 update, they can expect the following enhancements:
- Material design UI
- New notification UI and Priorities
- Ambient Display Mode
- Screen pinning for applications
- New battery saver mode
- Internet connection verification (authenticity of connections)
- Smart Lock feature for enhanced security
- Multiple user account support
- Motorola Assist and Downtime features
- 256-bit key encryption feature for better data protection
Download and install Android 5.1 on first-gen Moto X smartphones:
The Android Lollipop is available via an OTA but users can also manually search for the upgrade and install it. To manually search for the updated firmware, follow the steps below:
- Select the Settings icon in the apps menu.
- Select About phone
- Select System updates
- Select "Yes, I'm in". After the software is downloaded, select "Install now".
- Your smartphone will re-start automatically
Before installing the update, do remember to check that the battery of the device has at least 50% charge. Connect to a Wi-Fi network to install it.
Motorola Moto X (2013) can check their smartphones for the Android 5.1 update and let us know if they have received it in our comments section below.