Owners of Samsung's Galaxy Tab S 8.4, who have subscribed to Verizon's wireless network services in the US, can now check their slates for the Android 5.0 (Lollipop) OS update.
Android Lollipop, for Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, is currently active as per an official listing on Samsung's online support portal. According to this listing, users can check out for Lollipop firmware upgrade bearing version number T707VVRU1BOD4.
Verizon-driven Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 users in the US can check out for Android Lollipop, via automatic OTA notifications as well as manually. Users can also let us know the status of the Lollipop rollout for their respective devices, in our comments section below.
Enhancements to look forward to after installing Android Lollipop OS update
Android Lollipop, post installation in Verizon-driven Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 slates, promises the following newer functionality/enhancements.
- Material Design: Material Design offers fluid animations, vivid coloured themes and 3D-views.
- Improved Lockscreen: Shortcuts for both Phone and Camera are provided, along with Material Design-inspired notifications.
- Touchwiz: Brighter look and feel, bold colours, fluid animation inspired by Material Design.
- Floating Action Button: Floating action buttons provide easy access to the app's most important features, such as adding a new contact or favourite, or composing a text message.
- Interruptions: Priority notifications such as events and reminders, phone calls, and messages can be set up to sound or vibrate while all other notifications are muted.
- Recents: Easy access to your Chrome tabs right from the Recent apps page. Multi-window icons for ease of use during multi-tasking.
- Battery Saver: A battery saver feature that extends device use by up to 90 minutes.
- 'OK Google' voice command: Talk to Google on the go to get quick answers, send a text, get directions and more.
- Connectivity: Improved network selection logic so that your device connects only if there is a verified internet connection on Wi-Fi.
- Security: SELinux enforcing for all applications means even better protection against vulnerabilities and malware. Use Android Smart Lock to secure your phone or tablet by pairing it with a trusted device like your wearable or even your car.
How to manually search-for and download/install Android Lollipop OS update:
Android Lollipop firmware is generally available automatically via OTA, but the software can also be manually searched-for, downloaded and installed as follows:
- From the Home screen, tap Apps
- Select Settings
- Select the General tab
- Tap About device
- Tap OK
- Select Start
- A restart message will appear, choose OK.
Apart from Verizon-driven Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 tablets, Android Lollipop OS update has also begun rolling out to the global edition of Galaxy Tab S 8.4 slates.