Users of Samsung's S5 smartphones now have lots to cheer about as the highly anticipated Google Android 5.0.2 (Lollipop) OS update is now confirmed to roll out to owners of the high-end smartphone.
The Lollipop firmware upgrade is expected to begin its designated rollout from Australia, in June 2015, according to an official Optus (an Australian wireless carrier) community forum (quoted by GSMArena) post.
This means that the Android 5.0.2 OS update should not take long before it reaches Samsung Galaxy S5 users in the US, UK and India.
Galaxy S5 users are advised to check for Android 5.0.2 (Lollipop) on a regular basis. The Lollipop firmware will be available automatically (via OTA), and can also be searched for manually and downloaded/installed.
Currently, Samsung Galaxy S5 runs the now outdated Android 4.4.2 (KitKat) out of the box, and the handset is eligible to receive Android Lollipop in due course.
Android Lollipop, as of now, is live for users of Samsung's metal-clad Galaxy A5 smartphones in Poland. This rollout is expected to extend to other countries very shortly. Hence, users are advised to regularly monitor their smartphones for the new firmware.
Enhancements to look out for in Android Lollipop
- Material Design: A bold, colourful, and responsive UI design for consistent, intuitive experiences across devices
- Notifications: View and respond to messages directly from your lock screen. Includes the ability to hide sensitive content for these notifications
- Battery Saver feature: The new feature extends the device's battery life by up to 90 minutes
- Enhanced security: Use Android Smart Lock to secure your phone or tablet by pairing it with a trusted device like your wearable or car
- Device Sharing: Multiple users for phones
- New Quick Settings: Enables users to get to the most frequently used settings with just two swipes down from the top of the screen
- Connectivity: Improved network handoff resulting in limited interruption in connectivity
- Android TV: Support for TV devices
- OK Google: Talk to Google on the go to get quick answers, send a text, and get directions and more.
The Android Lollipop OS update can also be manually searched-for and downloaded/installed by navigating to Settings > About Phone > System updates > Check for Updates.