T-Mobile LG G2 users in the US can check their smartphones for the Google Android 5.0.2 (Lollipop) OS update which is now rolling out across the country.
The latest rollout comes after IBTimes UK had reported about the Android Lollipop for LG G2 having entered the final testing phase at T-Mobile.
Now, T-Mobile has officially stated that the Android 5.0.2 firmware update for its LG G2 users, will be available via OTA, and subscribers can check out for the OS update bearing version number D80130b.
T-Mobile's latest rollout is happening in phases, which means that it should take a while before all LG G2 smartphones across the US are covered.
New enhancements and features brought along by Android Lollipop to T-Mobile LG G2:
- Material Design: Material design offers fluid animations, vivid coloured themes and 3D-Views.
- Improved Lockscreen: Shortcuts for both Phone and Camera are provided, along with Material Design-inspired notifications.
- Touchwiz: Brighter look and feel, bold colours, fluid animation inspired by Material Design.
- Floating Action Button: Floating action buttons provide easy access to the app's most important features, such as adding a new contact or favourite, or composing a text message.
- Interruptions: Priority notifications such as events and reminders, phone calls, and messages can be set up to sound or vibrate while all other notifications are muted.
- Recents: Easy access to your Chrome tabs right from the Recent apps page. Multi-window icons for ease of use during multi-tasking.
Obtaining Android Lollipop OS update within LG G2:
T-Mobile-driven LG G2 users should observe the latest Lollipop OS upgrade automatically via OTA, but a manual search for the software can also be initiated as follows, post which an installation can be resorted to.
- Within the LG G2, navigate to Settings, select General
- Choose About phone
- Tap Update Center
- Select System updates
- Tap Check now
- Follow the on-screen instructions to download and install Android Lollipop
Also, before installing Lollipop, users are advised to ensure that their LG G2 contains at least 617MB of free space.
Prior to the latest rollout, T-Mobile's LG G2 ran the now legacy Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) operating platform, out of the box.