Just a week ago, ASUS introduced the latest Android 4.2 Jelly Bean update for the Transformer Pad Infinity TF700; and now the Taiwanese handset maker has released the full version Android 4.2 ROM for the tablet users, so that a manual update is possible without having to wait for the official Over-The-Air update.
The latest Android 4.2 ROM offers a host of new features and enhancements over its previous release. A few noteworthy feature enhancements are as follows: multi-user support for up to four user accounts, DayDream screen saver mode with support for device in docking or charging mode, parental lock support, Miracast wireless display capability and general performance enhancements.
Note: The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after the firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The official firmware and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable to the Transformer Pad Infinity TF700 model only. Also ensure that the tablet is running on a pure (completely unmodified) stock Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROM, version 10.4.4.25. Now, verify the device's model number and ROM version by navigating to Settings > About Tablet.
- As the developer notes, the tablet may be rooted but any changes to the system files must be avoided, as it could result in a failed update.
- Ensure the device has at least 50 percent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the official firmware.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone by using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Enable USB debugging mode on the tablet by navigating to Settings > Developer Options or Settings > Applications > Development.
- Make sure that the device is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) before proceeding with the firmware installation.
How to Update ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity to Official Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean
Step 1: Verify the device's SKU number by navigating to Settings > About Tablet. If the tablet's build number begins with HK, then you should install the HK update and likewise for the WW SKU and US SKU.
Step 2: Once you have checked the SKU number for your device, download the corresponding update from the given links below (Note: the updates are coded based on the respective regions as WW, TW and US):
Step 3: Extract the downloaded SKU file to get another .zip file. Then copy the .zip file (without extracting) to the root folder on the phone's microSD card.
Step 4: Switch off the tablet and then turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power buttons together. When the white lines of text appear in the upper-left corner of the screen, just release the two buttons and then hit the Volume Up button.
Step 5: Wait for a few seconds until the device boots up to an Android logo with a progress bar on the screen. This indicates the update process has begun automatically, and once it is installed, the tablet should reboot automatically.
Your ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity is now successfully updated to official Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean firmware. Go to Settings > About Tablet to verify the version of the firmware installed.
[Source: The Android Soul]