Zdenek Makar
Two teenagers are among three people arrested in connection with the death of Zdenek Makar who died in Poplar, East London Police handout

The Metropolitan Police has arrested a 16-year-old boy and two others on suspicion of murder after a man was beaten to death near a chicken shop in east London.

Czech national Zdenek Makar died near All Saints DLR station in Poplar on Wednesday, 21 September.

The 31-year-old is believed to have been involved in an altercation inside Perfect Fried Chicken on East India Dock Road on the night of his death. Police are investigating whether he was followed from the fast food restaurant and assaulted by a gang of youths on BMX bikes.

The force arrested the trio, which includes a 19-year-old man and 29-year-old man, on suspicion of murder two days after Makar died. A post-mortem examination on Friday revealed that Makar died from head injuries. His next of kin has been informed.

On the night of the assault, a passing cyclist tried to save the man's life by giving him CPR only for Makar to succumb to his injuries. The chicken meal he bought from the restaurant was found unopened next to him.

Perfect fried chicken
The Perfect Fried Chicken shop where Zdenek Makar bought food before he died Google Maps

Tributes were paid on Facebook to the businessman with one friend writing: "You will always be remembered for your smile and positivism, for your energy and great friendship. It hurt me you left us this way bro."

Another tribute read: "This wasn't supposed to happen. I still can't believe it. A man with a huge heart, a whole life ahead of him."

A worker at the restaurant told the Evening Standard that a row occurred in the chicken shop on the night of the assault.

He said: "I don't know what the argument was about but there was no pushing or shoving, no one threw a punch. They were swearing at each other but it was all over in about 10 seconds. They both took their food outside and that was it. Ten minutes later we saw all the police and ambulance turn up."

A spokesman for the Met Police said: "A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: "Detectives continue to appeal for anyone who was in the area who witnessed the events prior to attack or the incident itself. They retain an open mind as to the motive for the attack."