It was goals galore for the big teams in a super Premier League Saturday with Chelsea and Manchester City coming out winners while Newcastle and Everton were in action, as well as West Ham and Cardiff.

City went into their match with Arsenal hoping to prove their title credentials after a rocky start to the season under incoming manager Manuel Pellegrini.

And the side did just that with Sergio Aguero opening the scoring for the side within 14 minutes. Theo Walcott was on show for the Gunners in his first start for the side since September, scoring a brace, but it wasn't enough to stop Pellegrini's men despite Aguero coming off in the second half with an injury.

Alvaro Negredo and David Silva added to City's scoreboard while Fernandinho put the ball in the back of the net twice and Yaya Toure was successful with a last-minute penalty to take their final tally to six, while Arsenal could only add one goal to Walcott's efforts thanks to Per Mertesacker in the 90th minute.

Meanwhile at Stamford Bridge Chelsea began their game with Crystal Palace the overwhelming favourites and despite looking slightly shaky against the relegation favourites Fernando Torres was able to score in the 16th minute.

Crystal Palace shocked the hosts by equalising thanks to Marouane Chamakh, but not long after the Blues were able to finish off a dominant first half with a goal from Ramires.

The win brings Chelsea closer to leaders Arsenal in the table and the side look to have recovered from their shock Premier League loss last weekend to Stoke.

Over at St James Park Newcastle took a deserved lead over Southampton in the first half thanks to Yohan Gouffran, who took advantage of the opposition's defensive mistakes to get one past the keeper. In the second half though the Saints looked much stronger and in the 65th minute Jay Rodriguez evened out the scoreline with a great counter attack from the southern side.

While it ended in a 1-1 draw both the Toon and Southampton's bench got into a scuffle at the end of the game after Massadio Haidara mounted a challenge on Morgan Schneiderlein. The FA will likely take a closer look at footage to uncover the perpetrators.

Everton were looking to build on their recent good form including a win over Manchester United and draw with table-leaders Arsenal as the club faced a struggling Fulham at home. And within 18 minutes they were in the driving seat with Leon Osman putting one on the board for the Toffees. The hosts' lead wouldn't last though with Dimitar Berbatov scoring a successful penalty to take the score to 1-1 after 67 minutes.

Roberto Martinez's side continued to work hard and Seamus Coleman took advantage of Maarten Steklenburg being unable to get to the ball and fired home in the second half. Gareth Barry made the side feel more comfortable after 85th minute as he slotted home a third goal for Everton and sealed the win. In the dying minutes, as Kevin Mirallas posted a fourth goal for the side their good form certainly looks set to continue, while the Cottagers stay in the relegation zone.

Elswehere Cardiff edged closer towards Premier League safety with a 1-0 win over West Brom while West Ham and Sunderland played out a goalless draw. Stoke and Hull will battle it out in the late kickoff.

More to follow