Wales has started its European cup qualifier game in Cardiff against Montenegro well.

Gareth Barry and Craig Bellamy started to make their presence felt early in the game, with Bellamy having the first real chance with a volley into the Montenegro keeper.

Wales also proved able to defend against Montenegro, with Darcy Blake successfully warding off enemy attacks.

Welsh dominance finally translated into results when Steve Morison scored his first international goal thanks to a cross from David Vaughan.

Bale very nearly made it two, smashing a shot into keeper Mladen Bozovic after evading the Montenegro defence.

Vaughan, having set up the first goal, later got into trouble, as did Bellamy, with both picking up yellow cards that will disqualify them from Wales' next game, against England.

Morison and Bale continued to harass and confound the Montenegro defence but proved unable to extend the Welsh lead.

At half time Wales lead 1-0.

Shortly after the beginning of the second half, Wales managed to increase their lead, with Bale setting up Aaron Ramsey, who put the ball safely into the net. Morison very nearly made it 3-0 with an impressive header.

Wales continued to dominate Montenegro, with Bale and Bellamy proving especially dangerous.

However Montenegro still had some fight left in them with Stevan Jovetic taking the score to 2-1 and threatening to derail Welsh hopes.

With ten minutes remaining Bale attempted to make a more secure scoreline with a free kick, but sent the ball flying over the bar.

Jovetic threatened again, forcing Wayne Hennessey into a save that was cleared by Chris Gunter. A less dangerous move from Jovetic saw him shoot the ball well wide of goal.

A few nerves were set on end shortly after however when Dejan Damjanovic apparently equalised, only to have it disallowed for offside.

With three minutes of extra time given Montenegro went all out to equalise, which nearly happened thanks to a Hennessey fumble.

Fortunately for Wales the game ended in a 2-1 victory.