The I8610XXMG2 official update based on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean has been released for the Galaxy Ace 2 users in several countries such as Poland, Spain, Russia, the Netherlands and other European countries. Freshly built on 5 July, the XXMG2 build is an unbranded version of firmware.
Android version: 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
Build date: 5 July, 2013
The update is now live through Samsung Kies in the aforementioned countries. Those who failed to update their devices using official method for being region specific, may follow our step-by-step guide to install the update manually using Odin flashing tool.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any mishap. Users are advised to verify their handsets meet following requirements before installing the firmware.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 to connect the Android device with computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option then check the USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial might out wipe all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP already installed then backup data using recovery.
4) The Galaxy Ace 2 should have above 80% of battery charge.
5) The phone should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The device will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Additionally, it will lose custom recovery such as ClockworkMod/TWRP which will be replaced by stock recovery.
7) The Galaxy device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
8) The I8160XXMG2 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean works only on Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 GT-I8160. As flashing this on incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Galaxy device by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
Steps to install I8160XXMG2 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy Ace 2
Step-1: Download I8160XXMG2 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean official firmware for Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 to the computer
I8160XXMG2 [For Spain]
I8160XXMG2 [For Nordic Countries]
I8160XXMG2 [For Poland]
I8160XXMG2 [For Russia]
Note: Download firmware according to region.
Step-2: Extract the downloaded firmware zip file to get a file with .tar.md5 extension with few other files
Step-3: Download Odin3 v3.07 which will help to install the Jelly Bean firmware. Extract the Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe file and some other files
Step-4: Switch off the Galaxy Ace 2 and wait for five to six seconds for vibration to confirm complete power off
Step-5: Reboot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Home buttons together while pressing the Power button. Users should be now prompted with a warning screen asking to press the Volume Up button to enter into Download Mode. The Download Mode then displays an Android robot and says Downloading...Do not turn off target
Step-6: Run Odin3 v3.07.exe as an Administrator
Step-7: Connect the Galaxy Ace to the computer using USB cable while it is in the Download Mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, in the Odin window the ID: COM box will turn to blue colour and indicate COM port number. Also, an Added message will appear on a log box indicating the device is already detected or recognised by Odin
Note: If the Added message does not appear, then try the USB port at the back of the computer. If Odin still fails to recognise the device then re-install USB driver.
Step-8: Select these files extracted from I8160XXMG2 folder to install on the phone
a) Click the PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file
b) Click the Phone button and select file with Modem in its name
c) Click the CSC button and select file with CSC in its name
d) Click the PIT file and select the .pit file
Note: Ignore the last three steps (b, c and d) if such files are not found.
Step-9: Configure Odin settings; ensure the Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected. But uncheck the Re-Partition option; select it only when a .pit file is being used
Step-10: Hit the Start button in Odin to installation process which will take a few minutes to complete
Step-11: When the installation process is completed, a PASS message will appear in Odin indicating the flashing is already finished. And on the log box it says All threads completed (success 1 / failed 0). The phone will then reboot automatically. Now safely unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from the computer
I8160XXMG2 Android 4.1.2 should now be installed and running on the Galaxy Ace 2. To confirm the new firmware version type *#1234# or go to Settings>> About phone>> Firmware info. To perform factory reset dial *2767*3855#. Users can also check and reconfigure APN settings to avoid data networks connection issues.
[Source: Android ROM Update]