The unofficial version of SlimROMs aka SlimSaberKat brings the latest custom KitKat features to Galaxy S4 LTE (GT-I9505) with due credit to the industrious SlimROMs team.
Based on the original SlimKat source, the SlimSaberKat ROM brings the fastest, smoothest and stable KitKat experience to Galaxy S4 LTE users in a compact release (minimum file size). It is an ideal choice if you have a small in-built storage space on your handset without the privilege of upgrading via microSD slot.
Those who wish to enjoy the most stable KitKat release on their Galaxy S4 I9505 can follow our step-by-step guide to install Android 4.4.4 KitKat via SlimSaberKat ROM
IBTimes UK reminds readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after custom ROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The SlimSaberKat ROM and the instructions given in this guide are meant for the Galaxy S4 LTE models only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Galaxy S4 I9505 USB drivers).
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on the phone, by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (NOTE: Tap the phone's Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings.) Then select the checkbox to enable USB debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Ensure the device is unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with latest ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery (v18.104.22.168) or install CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly which includes CWM recovery v22.214.171.124.
- If the device is stuck at booting or is experiencing boot loop issues, perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before you start working on it.
Steps to InstallAndroid 4.4.4 KitKat on Galaxy S4 I9505 with SlimSaberKat Stable Build
Step-1: Download Android 4.4.4 SlimSaberKat stable build for Galaxy S4 I9505 to computer
Step-2: Download Google Apps package
Step-3: Connect the Galaxy S4 to computer via USB cable. Without extracting, copy the downloaded firmware zip and Google Apps zip files to the root folder of the phone's SD card.
Step-4: Power off the phone and wait for 5 to 10 seconds until the device shuts down completely.
Step-5: Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together, until the Galaxy S4 logo appears on screen.
Step-6: Release all three buttons at the same time to boot into recovery mode. NOTE: In recovery mode, use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select the desired option.
Step-7: Perform Wipe data/Factory reset (this will delete all apps and their settings and game progress) and choose Yes on next screen to confirm the action.
Step-8: Return to CWM recovery main menu and select Mounts and Storage > Format System and click Yes on next screen to confirm. Then perform Wipe Cache Partition. From the main menu of CWM recovery, go to Advanced and choose Wipe Dalvik Cache. Then hit Yes on next screen to confirm.
Step-9: Select Install Zip from sdcard and then click Choose zip from sdcard. Browse to the location of the SlimSaberKat stable build file which you copied earlier to your phone's SD card. Choose Yes on next screen to confirm the firmware installation.
Step-10: Repeat the previous step to install Google Apps as well.
Step-11: Once Google Apps is also installed, select "+++++Go Back+++++" and reboot the phone by tapping reboot system now from the recovery menu. Your Galaxy S4 I9505 will restart and it may take about five minutes for the first boot. So, do not interrupt the process.
Your Galaxy S4 I9505 is now running on Android 4.4.4 KitKat via SlimSaberKat stable build. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.