Google's new Nexus 5 comes with locked bootloader. Those looking for a method to unlock the bootloader of the Nexus smartphone may follow our step-by-step guide below. Unlocking the bootloader will enable users to perform multiple functions such as installing custom ROM, custom recoveries, kernel and rooting.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Users are also advised to verify that their devices meet the following requirements.
1) Install USB Driver for Nexus 5 to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect the Android device with computer and use the Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and check USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all the data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP already installed, then back up data using the recovery.
4) The Nexus 5 should have above 80% of battery charge. If the phone goes off suddenly, due to low battery while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware or installing mode, the phone might get bricked or go dead permanently.
5) This tutorial has been performed on Windows but anyone familiar with Fastboot on Mac or Linux can perform this as well.
6) The bootloader unlock method works only on Nexus 5. Applying this to any incorrect variant is likely to brick the device.
7) Unlocking the bootloader will void the device of its warranty.
Steps to unlock Google Nexus 5 bootloader
Step-2: Enable USB debugging mode if you have not
Step-3: Download Fastboot and extract it in android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory
Step-4: Switch off the Nexus 5. Boot the phone into Bootloader/Fastboot mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons together for a few seconds until some text and START appears on screen. This is Bootloader Mode, which allows Fastboot to communicate with the phone
Step-5: Navigate to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory and open Command Prompt (Shift + Right Click>> to open Command Prompt)
Step-6: Type the following command and press Enter
fastboot oem unlock
Step-7: Follow the on-screen instructions on the phone to confirm the bootloader unlocking and erase all data
Step-8: The Nexus 5 will reboot itself when the process completes. If the phone does not reboot automatically then type the following command to reboot
The bootloader of Nexus 5 should now be unlocked.
[Source: Team Android]