Xolo One has become the first Android One budget handset to get the Android 5.0 update, as Google has lived up to its words by rolling out the first Lollipop Over-The-Air (OTA) update on the smartphone.
However, those who cannot wait for the official Lollipop OTA release on their devices can follow our step-by-step guide to install the same manually.
IBTimes UK reminds readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after the Lollipop firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for the Android One variant of Xolo or Xolo One only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure the phone has at at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Back up data and settings using stock recovery, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Xolo One USB drivers).
- Enable USB Debugging mode via Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or above) or Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier).
How to manually update Xolo One to Android 5.0 Lollipop
Step 1: Connect the Xolo One to your computer via USB cable.
Step 2: Turn on the phone and wait until the green coloured Android logo appears on screen.
Step 3: Tap the Turn On USB storage option to mount the Xolo One on your computer and the handset should now be accessible as a mounted hard drive.
Step 4: Double-click on the Xolo One's mounted storage volume to open it on the computer.
Step 5: Without unzipping or extracting, download the Lollipop update file named update.zip to your computer's desktop.
Step 6: Then copy the update.zip file to Xolo One's internal storage or SD card.
Step 7: Once the file transfer is complete, tap on Turn off storage on Xolo One and then disconnect its USB cable connected to computer.
Step 8: Launch Xolo Care app on Xolo One and tap on update tab.
Step 9: Then click on Check for software update and then tap on Check for updates.
Step 10: The app will automatically search for the update.zip file you copied earlier to your phone's SD card. Once the update.zip file (557.72MB) is found, you will see the update option for this package.
Step 11: Just select the update package and hit continue.
Step 12: The phone will install the update and reboot automatically once the installation completes.
Your Xolo One is now running the latest Android 5.0 Lollipop update via official OTA manual installation.
[Source: The Android Soul]