HTC One X users can now enjoy the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean features on their phone, with due credit to the release of CyanogenMod 10.1 (CM10.1) RC2 ROM from CM team. The latest iteration of CM10.1 ROM (RC2) is reportedly more stable, fast and powerful than any other Android Open Source Project (AOSP) based custom ROMs.
NOTE: The ROM is based on the latest AOSP release that can be installed via custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM). Instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged or data is lost during or after firmware installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
- Instructions given in this guide are applicable to the HTC One X model only. Do not attempt this procedure on any other device, as it may inadvertently damage or brick your device. Verify your device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download HTC One X USB drivers)
- Back up important data and settings on the phone to avoid loss of personal data or apps
- Verify that the device's bootloader is unlocked
- Make sure the phone is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device runs Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier)
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Based CyanogenMod 10.1 RC2 ROM on HTC One X
Step 2 - Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on computer via USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the downloaded CM10.1 ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on your phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Copy and paste the boot.img file to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory.
Step 5 - Power off the phone. Then press and hold Volume Down and Power buttons together until the device enters Bootloader/Fastboot mode.
Step 7 - Once the phone boots into Fastboot mode go to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory (on your computer) and open Command Prompt (hold Shift and Right-click on "Open Command Prompt").
Step 8 - Type the following command and hit Enter.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
Step 9 - Type the following command and press Enter.
Step 10 - Follow the onscreen navigational instructions on the screen. Then select Bootloader and boot the device into Recovery.
Step 11 - Once the device enters CWM Recovery, do a full data wipe task by choosing Wipe Data/Factory Reset. NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate and Power button to select an option in Recovery mode.
Step 12 - Perform Wipe Cache Partition followed by Wipe Dalvik Cache from advance option in CWM recovery (this will prevent boot loop issues or ROM related errors).
Step 13- Return to the main recovery menu and choose Install Zip from SD card.
Step 14 - Click Choose Zip from SD card. Use volume keys to navigate to CyanogenMod 10.1 RC2 ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone's SD card and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation procedure should begin.
Google Apps: Repeat the above step for installing Google Apps as well.
Step 16 - Once Google Apps is also installed, hit "+++++Go Back+++++" and tap reboot system now from the recovery menu. Your phone will now reboot and the first boot may take about 5 minutes to complete. So, leave it alone.
Your HTC One X is now running Android 4.2.2 based CM10.1 RC2 Jelly Bean ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.
[Source: Team Android]