A new stock firmware update based on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean with build number I9300XXUGND5 is now available to download on the international version of Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300).
Carrying a build date of 30 April, I9300XXUGND5 build is exclusively for Galaxy S3 users in the Nordic countries. This build is an unbranded version of firmware, hence it can be installed on any GT-I9300 unit, irrespective of country and region.
I9300XXUGND5 is a follow up of the previous I9300XXUGND2 firmware. Given below are the firmware details for I9300XXUGND5 build.
Model name: Galaxy S3
Country: Nordic countries
Version: Android 4.3 Jelly Bean
Build date: 30 April
Product Code: NEE
Galaxy S3 users who failed to get the OTA update or are unable to access the firmware via Samsung Kies server for being region specific, may follow our step-by-step guide to install the update manually using Odin flashing tool.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any mishap. Before flashing the stock firmware users are advised to verify their devices meet the following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S3 to connect the Android device with the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> About phone. Tap on Build Number several times until a message appears saying 'You are now a Developer.' Now go to Settings>> Developer Options to enable USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device has any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP then back up data using the same.
4) If the Android phone powers off due to lack of battery during the installation process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Galaxy S3 should have above 80% battery charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
7) The device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of the official firmware.
8) I9300XXUGND5 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean official firmware works only with Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300. As flashing this on any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Galaxy S3 by navigating to Settings>> About device>> Model number.
How to install I9300XXUGND5 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300)
Step-1: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using any extracting tool to get a .tar.md5 file with a few other files, which are optional
Step-2: Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v.3.09.exe with a few other files
Step-3: Switch off Galaxy S3
Step-4: Place the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Home, Power and Volume Down button together
Note: Ensure that you have Galaxy S3 USB Drivers installed on the computer.
Step-5: Run Odin as Administrator on the computer
Step-6: Connect the Galaxy S3 to computer using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn light blue with COM port number. This step might take some time
Step-7: In Odin, click AP button and select the firmware file with .tar.md5 extension
Step-8: Enable Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes in Odin. Ensure Re-Partition checkbox is not checked
Step-9: Verify everything and click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and take a few minutes to complete
Step-10: When the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. Once the home screen appears on the phone, disconnect the phone from the computer
The Galaxy S3 should now have been updated with I9300XXUGND5 Android 4.3 stock firmware. Navigate to Settings>>About phone to verify the new firmware version running on the handset.
How to fix bootloop issue
If the Galaxy S3 gets stuck at booting animation (after step-10), go to recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power and buttons together. Now perform Wipe data/Factory reset then Wipe Cache Partition. Once the action is completed, reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. In recovery mode, use Volume keys to scroll between options and Power button to select the desired option. Note that performing wiping task will erase the phone's internal memory data.
After installing the stock firmware those who are looking for a root method, may follow our step-by-step guide to root Galaxy S3 on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.