International No Diet Day is celebrated every year on 6 May in efforts to promote body acceptance and body shape diversity. It is aimed at raising awareness about the potential dangers of unhealthy dieting and questions the concept of one "right" body shape for everyone.
International No Diet Day was first celebrated in the UK in 1992. However, countries across the globe, including the US, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Brazil, India and others, have also begun celebrating the day to help raise awareness about weight discrimination, fat phobia and size bias.
Of late, Hollywood celebrities have taken to making statements encouraging today's youth to accept and love their bodies and adopt healthier attitudes toward body image. In celebration of No Diet Day, IBTimes UK has compiled a list of top 10 quotes on body acceptance and no dieting from Hollywood A-listers.
- I might have a little bit of cellulite. I might not be toned everywhere. But accepting that just empowers me. — Kim Kardashian
- I want to enjoy life, and I can't if I'm not eating and miserable. — Kate Upton
- One day I had to sit down with myself and decide that I loved myself no matter what my body looked like and what other people thought about my body. — Gabourey Sidibe
- I would only lose weight if it affected my health or sex life, which it doesn't. — Adele
- You shouldn't be pressured into trying to be thin by the fashion industry, because they only want models that are like human mannequins.... But you have to remember that it's not practical or possible for an everyday woman to look like that. Being size zero is a career in itself so we shouldn't try and be like them. It's not realistic and it's not healthy. —Rihanna
- Girls of all kinds can be beautiful — from the thin, plus-sized, short, very tall, ebony to porcelain-skinned; the quirky, clumsy, shy, outgoing and all in between. It's not easy though because many people still put beauty into a confining, narrow box....Think outside of the box.... Pledge that you will look in the mirror and find the unique beauty in you. — Tyra Banks
- I share the same advice that my mom gave me — stay hydrated and sleep well. And that being a beautiful person on the inside is what really matters. — Jessica Alba
- I'm proud of my body. My body weight will always be something that I'll struggle with for the rest of my life, but I'm finally in a good place and learning to love me for me, and not somebody else's standards. — Khloe Kardashian
- When you love and accept yourself, when you know who really cares about you, and when you learn from your mistakes, then you stop caring about what people who don't know you think. — Beyonce
- If anybody even tries to whisper the word 'diet,' I'm like, 'You can go f*** yourself. — Jennifer Lawrence