Apple has just rolled out the highly-anticipated iOS 7.1 update for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch with a host of user interface tweaks, a fix for home screen crashes, support for the new CarPlay platform as well as a handful of Touch ID improvements.
In addition, iOS 7.1 introduces manual control for Siri voice commands as well as fixes a bug which intermittently crashed the home screen and resulted in random reboot issues.
Siri is now enhanced with a new feature that enables the use of the home button to manually activate or deactivate it. Just hold down the home button to activate Apple's voice controlled personal assistant and release it once you have finished speaking.
Another key feature of the improved Siri are "more natural sounding" voices for Chinese, UK English, Australian English and Japanese.
The new CarPlay feature enables the user to control the phone, music, maps, messages and third-party audio apps via the in-built systems of compatible cars.
iOS 7.1 adds minor updates to iTunes Radio, Calendar and Accessibility, as well as a few fine tweaks to the user interface. iPhone 5s gets new automatic HDR capability, while the iPhone 4 enjoys snappier performance with this new iOS upgrade.
Those who wish to gain the benefits of iOS 7.1 upgrade can do so by downloading the same via OTA or manually using the appropriate download links given below:
iOS 7.1 Download IPSW Links
- iPad Air (5th generation WiFi + Cellular)
- iPad Air (5th generation WiFi)
- iPad (4th generation CDMA)
- iPad (4th generation GSM)
- iPad (4th generation WiFi)
- iPad mini (CDMA)
- iPad mini (GSM)
- iPad mini (WiFi)
- iPad mini 2 (WiFi + Cellular)
- iPad mini 2 (WiFi)
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi (3rd generation)
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for ATT)
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for Verizon)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi (Rev A)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (GSM)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (CDMA)
- iPhone 5 (CDMA)
- iPhone 5 (GSM)
- iPhone 5c (CDMA)
- iPhone 5c (GSM)
- iPhone 5s (CDMA)
- iPhone 5s (GSM)
- iPhone 4s
- iPhone 4 (GSM Rev A)
- iPhone 4 (GSM)
- iPhone 4 (CDMA)
- iPod touch (5th generation)
How to Install iOS 7.1 on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch via OTA
To install this update via over-the-air (OTA), select Software Update under General section of iOS settings or connect the device to iTunes via Mac or Windows PC.
For more information on how to install iOS 7.1 on iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch, check our detailed step-by-step guide posted here.
iOS 7.1 Changelog
Here is the complete changelog for iOS 7.1 release from Apple:
- iOS experience designed for the car
- Simply connect your iPhone to a CarPlay enabled vehicle
- Supports Phone, Music, Maps, Messages, and 3rd-party audio apps
- Control with Siri and the car's touchscreen, knobs, and buttons
- Manually control when Siri listens by holding down the home button while you speak and releasing it when you're done as an alternative to letting Siri automatically notice when you stop talking
- New, more natural sounding male and female voices for Mandarin Chinese, UK English, Australian English, and Japanese
- Search field above Featured Stations to easily create stations based on your favorite artist or song
- Buy albums with the tap of a button from Now Playing
- Subscribe to iTunes Match on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to enjoy iTunes Radio ad-free
- Option to display events in month view
- Country specific holidays automatically added for many countries
- Bold font option now includes the keyboard, calculator, and many icon glyphs
- Reduce Motion option now includes Weather, Messages, and multitasking UI animations
- New options to display button shapes, darken app colors, and reduce white point
- New Camera setting to automatically enable HDR for iPhone 5s
- iCloud Keychain support in additional countries
- FaceTime call notifications are automatically cleared when you answer a call on another device
- Fixes a bug that could occasionally cause a home screen crash
- Improves Touch ID fingerprint recognition
- Improved performance for iPhone 4
- Fixes display of Mail unread badge for numbers greater than 10,000
- Continued user interface refinements
Check out the iOS 7.1 feature availability by country/region listed here.
For further information about the newly introduced features and changes in iOS 7.1, check the demo video below (courtesy of iDownloadBlog):