A man has been arrested in Leeds on suspicion of shooting a police officer who was responding to a routine call.

James Leslie, 37, was arrested following a police manhunt which was launched after two officers were shot at while attending a routine call at an address in Hyde Park.

One female officer received serious but not life threatening injuries in the shooting. The male officer accompanying her was unharmed.

Leslie was tracked down and arrested in the Headingley area of the city, said West Yorkshire Police.

Asst chief const Geoff Dodd thanked the public for their assistance and gave an update on the injured officer.

He said: "We appreciate this incident will also have caused concern in the community where it took place and officers will be maintaining a presence in the area to reassure local people that the situation is under control.

"The investigation is still at an early stage and it will take some time to establish the course of events. However, West Yorkshire Police will use all the resources available to us to thoroughly investigate this matter.

"The officer has sustained a very serious injury and her wellbeing is of paramount importance to us. The thoughts of colleagues remain with the officer and her family at this very difficult time.

"It is right to say that incidents where police officers face threat from firearms are thankfully very rare but that does not lessen the shocking impact when an officer is injured in such a way."

Ned Liddemore, vice chairman of the West Yorkshire Police Federation, condemned the shooting as a "cowardly attack".

He added: "As has been shown in the early hours of this morning there is no such thing as a routine call when it comes to police officers.

"Yet again the dangers faced by our colleagues, 24 hours a day 365 days a year, have been made abundantly clear

"When the public of West Yorkshire are sound asleep in their beds, our officers are still out there doing their job.

"We will be supporting the officers and their families through this traumatic time."