Manchester City have lifted the Premier League title for the second time in three years with the side beating off late competition from Liverpool to gift City manager Manuel Pellegrini the trophy in his first season in England.

The Reds looked down and out when Newcastle went up 1-0 in their final game for the campaign but Daniel Agger and Daniel Sturridge put the side up 2-1 in the second half with Shola Ameobi sent off during the celebrations for dissent and Paul Drummett receiving a red card for a foul on Luis Suarez.

Meanwhile City looked calm and cool throughout their first half with West Ham, dominating possession and taking advantage of the London side's lack of attacking flair to pile on the pressure until Samir Nasri broke through with a goal in the 39th minute.

As the sides came out for the second half City were quick to hit the Hammers where it hurt and Vincent Kompany took his club to 2-0 within four minutes. From then on it was a cruise to full time for Pellegrini's men who had 68% of possession over the course of the game.

When Pellegrini joined the side last summer the Chilean manager was seen as a risky choice due to his lack of experience on the big stage. But his summer signings gave City the edge they needed in attack, despite Liverpool boasting the unstoppable Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge.

The title appeared to be in Liverpool's hands when they prepared to face Chelsea in late April. The Reds were hot favourites to win their first top-flight trophy in 24 years as they sat at the top of the table, but a shock loss to Jose Mourinho's side at Anfield left them on the back foot.

liverpool fans
Liverpool\'s fans were second to none as the season wrapped up but their results left a lot to be desired from Reds supporters.

City took full advantage of this, keeping their cool to beat Crystal Palace convincingly on the same day.

With just goal difference separating the sides, Brendan Rodgers men went up 3-0 against Palace a week later and dared to dream they might close the eight-point gap between themselves and City. In doing so though they failed to close down the game and Tony Pulis took full advantage with his side equalising 3-3 to take two precious points away from Liverpool.

City were now on top in goal difference and game points, and their following 3-2 win over Everton and 4-0 win over Aston Villa set the scene for what would be an experienced and well-rounded side taking the title in clinical fashion.

Liverpool's inconsistent defensive line-up became their undoing, with 52 combined goals from Suarez and Sturridge a shining light among a young side who began the season simply hoping for Champions League qualification.

City's experience under pressure – much of the side had taken part in the near disaster against QPR two seasons before which saw them score two goals in the final five minutes to snatch the title from Manchester United - made them deserving winners of England's highest honour.

Elsewhere on the Premier League's final day of action, Chelsea and Arsenal both won to confirm their places in the table in third and fourth respectively.