A jury at the inquest of the shooting of Mark Duggan, whose death sparked the 2011 riots across Britain, has found that he was killed lawfully - despite not being armed at the time of his shooting.

Duggan, 29, was shot twice by police in Tottenham, north London, on 4 August, 2011, after he got out of a minicab that had been stopped by officers.

The jury in the inquest into his death found that despite Duggan not having a gun in his hand at the time of the shooting, he was lawfully killed by police. They arrived at a majority verdict of eight to two.

His family were visibly stunned when the jury's finding was read out.

Duggan's aunt, Carole Duggan, said: "For as long as it takes, God give my family strength. Not only the family, the whole of our legal team, the whole of our friends, the whole of the people we don't even know that have supported [us].

"The majority of the people in this country know that Mark was executed. He was executed, and we still believe that, and we're going to fight until we have no breath in our body for justice for Mark".

The officer who shot him, known only as V53, claimed that he had opened fired in self-defence or to save the lives of his colleagues after he saw Duggan holding a gun.

Members of Duggan's family who were at the Royal Courts of Justice to hear the decision shouted "murderers" as the jury's conclusion was read out.

Another shouted "A black life ain't worth nothing" as he left the courtroom in disgust.

During the inquest, the jury was told that police believed that Duggan was a member of the gang TMD, the Tottenham Man Dem, and officers were reacting to intelligence that he had bought a gun on the afternoon of his death.

The marksman who shot Duggan once in his bicep and once through his chest said that he opened fire after spotting a gun in the deceased's right hand and believed he was ready to use it.

A second officer, known as W70, also claimed they had seen Duggan holding the gun as he exited the cab and were "surprised" when they could not find it in on him.

Police said they found the weapon six metres (20ft) away from his body on the other side of a fence.

Forensic tests show that the BBM Bruni Model 92 pistol, which had been wrapped in a sock, did not show Duggan's DNA or his fingerprints. However, a cardboard box used to carry the gun inside the minicab did.

The jury ruled that Duggan had more than likely thrown the gun from the vehicle before he was shot.

Outside the Royal Court of Justice, the family described the decision as "perverse".

A statement from the family's lawyer, Marcia Willis Stewart, said: "The jury found that he had no gun in his hand. And yet he was gunned down.

"For us that is an unlawful killing. As you can see the family are in a state of shock, and we would ask that you respect their shock. They can't believe that this has been the outcome. No gun in his hand, and yet he was shot – murdered, as they have said. No gun in his hand.

His mother Pam added: "The majority of people know Mark was executed. We will fight for justice for Mark and his children."

Shaun Hall, Duggan's brother, said: "We came for justice today. We don't feel that we're leaving with justice. We think we're leaving with a grave injustice."

A spokesperson for the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said: "We note the inquest jury's determination and findings and we are considering them as a matter of urgency in relation to our ongoing investigation."

A Home Office spokesperson added: "The police do a vitally important job, so it is right they are held to the highest possible standards and subject to rigorous examination.

"The inquest jury has given its verdict on the incident in which Mark Duggan lost his life. The IPCC will now continue with its investigation, taking into account the evidence heard during the inquest. While that process is ongoing it would be inappropriate to comment further."