Relatives of the passengers on the missing Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370, distraught over news that the aircraft has crashed, are demanding more answers.

They said just confirming that the missing aircraft has crashed was not enough to lay the matter to rest, adding that they wanted to know what caused the plane to disappear.

On Wednesday, Malaysia finally confirmed that the flaperon discovered on Renuion Island a week ago indeed came from the missing aircraft. The debris is the first discovered of the aircraft which went missing on 8 March while travelling from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with a total of 239 passengers aboard.

"Now I want to know where the main body of the plane is so that we can take out the passengers and get the black box so we can know what happened. Only that, for us, will be full closure," said Jacquita Gonzales, the wife of the missing flight's chief steward Patrick Gomes.

AFP said confirmation that the debris was indeed from the missing aircraft ends an agonising wait for the families of the 239 passengers and crew who had endured 17 months with no proof that their loved ones were dead or alive.

"I'm still not satisfied. There are still so many questions left unanswered, so many holes in the puzzle," said Lee Khim Fatt, whose wife, Foong Wai Yueng was a flight attendant on board the aircraft.

"Until today we have no answers. Don't just show me a flaperon. Show me more. Answer the questions," he said.

Relatives of Chinese passengers express disbelief

Relatives of passengers from China expressed anger and disbelief over the latest news, Reuters reported. Many chose to still believe that their missing relatives are still alive, despite mounting evidence of a fatal crash.

A dozen relatives gathered outside Malaysia Airline's Beijing office, with some holding placards with a picture of a plane and saying: "It will surely return safely."

"I don't believe this latest information about the plane, they have been lying to us from the beginning. I know my daughter is out there, but they won't tell us the truth," Zhang Yongli said.

Bao Lanfang, whose grandson was on the missing plane said: "Everone has been lying to us. I will do anything to see him again, Just tell me what I need to do, I'll do it," the 63-year old said before collapsing on the floor.

The news agency said a social media group comprising of some relatives said: "Don't believe them! They must have switched the debris! We do believe all our relatives will come back safe and sound!"

The news agency said Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak's announcement still leaves the baffling question of what caused the aircraft to veer off course and fly for hours after its communications and tracking systems were shut off.

Malaysia committed to find out what happened to aircraft

Najib however, in an early morning televised address yesterday (6 August) said: "I would like to assure all those affected by this tragedy that the government of Malaysia is committed to do everything within our means to find out the truth of what happened."

Malaysia Airlines, in a statement issued shortly after Najib's statement, said the discovery was "a major breakthrough for us in resolving the disappearance of MH370."

"We expect and hope that there would be more objects to be found which would be able to help resolve the mystery," the airline said.

Reuters noted that despite the Malaysia confirmation that the flaperon was part of the missing aircraft, prosecutors in France "stopped short of declaring they were certain", only saying that there was a "very strong presumption" that it belonged to MH370.

The news agency said Paris Prosecutor Serge Mackowiak said the strong presumption was based on technical data supplied by both the manufacturer and the airline but did not given any indication whether there were any serial numbers or unique markings that could definitely link the flaperon to the missing airline.

Mackowiak said more analysis would be carried out on today but could not say when further results would be announced.

A fragment of luggage which was also found on the island would be examined by French police as soon as possible, he added.