The Google Nexus 4 is regarded as one of the most desirable smartphones, thanks to its stylish design and impressive hardware configuration. The Nexus device has attracted even the developers' attention, as a several custom ROMs have been ported to the device.
Liquidsmooth ROM is the latest to join the custom ROM Jelly Bean party, with due credit to its maker XDA Developer tspderek. The ROM is aimed at delivering a fast, stable, smooth and highly customisable Android experience to Nexus users.
Key Points to Note
- The Liquidsmooth custom ROM and the instructions given in this guide are compatible only with the Google Nexus 4 model and will not work on any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to back up apps, important data and settings to avoid data loss while flashing the Liquismooth Jelly Bean ROM on the Nexus 4.
- Verify that your device is rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) installed on it. Check out out step-by-step guide to root and unlock Nexus 4 .
- Ensure that your phone's bootloader is unlocked before proceeding with the Liquidsmooth ROM installation steps. Check out our step-by-step guide to unlock the bootloader on your Nexus 4
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the Liquidsmooth Jelly Bean ROM on the Nexus 4. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Liquidsmooth Jelly Bean ROM on Nexus 4
Step 1: Download the latest version of Liquidsmooth Jelly Bean ROM
Step 3: Copy both the ROM and Google Apps (GApps) zip files to the root folder on your phone's SD card.
Step 4: Power off your phone and boot into bootloader mode. To do so, press and hold Volume down and Power buttons together until the display comes on. NOTE: Use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select an option in Recovery.
Step 5: Browse to the Recovery mode option and select it using the Power button to boot into CWM Recovery.
Step 6: Take a NANDroid Backup of your existing ROM so that you can restore it later if something goes wrong with the new ROM. To take a backup, select Backup and Restore and then hit Backup again. Return to main recovery menu once backup is done.
Step 7: Choose wipe data/factory reset and click Yes to confirm. Wait for the data wipe process to complete (it will wipe only installed apps and settings, but the files on the SD card will be left intact).
Step 8: Choose Install zip from SD card and then click Choose Zip from SD card. Browse to the location of ROM file you copied earlier and select it. Click Yes to confirm ROM installation on next screen.
Step 9: Once ROM is installed, click Choose Zip from SD card again, but select GApps file to install Google Apps as well.
Step 10: After GApps is installed, return to the main recovery menu and hit Reboot System Now to reboot the phone into Liquidsmooth ROM. The first boot may take about 5 to 7 minutes. So, leave it alone.
Updating to Newer Versions of the ROM:
The ROM will receive periodic updates as part of development progress. So, to install newer versions, download the latest ROM, copy it to the device, reboot to recovery, repeat step 8 to install the update and then reboot the phone.
NOTE: It is not necessary to reinstall Google Apps or wipe data once again while updating to a newer version, as it is required only when installing the ROM for first time.
Liquidsmooth Jelly Bean ROM is now successfully installed on your Nexus 4.
[Source: The Android Soul]